Facebook Working on Filtering Out Virtual Ghosts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Just have a policy for 'Inactive Users'. Inactive Users cannot post, receive posts (without an informational message of inactivity by the poster) or messages, cannot post events, send invites, play FarmVille/FishVille, and their birthdays do not post, but give a privacy option to override this. Under your friends list, display "Inactive Users" link.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Better idea: In the event that someone does not log on in one years time...you send emails to some of their most highly contacted friends...and ask them if their friend is unable to use their account due to death. If you ask respectfully and explain why the site does this, I'm sure users will appreciate it. The other option is for users to set up a sort of "emergency contact" such as a sibling, parent, or cousin who is also on Facebook. After a set period of time, the password may be given to emergency contact. However, you must give users a full disclosure of what "emergency contact" means, what the site will automatically do after one year's time inactivity, etc. You must also be able to NOT name a contact, and instead have your account deleted. Even two years would probably be fine. If I let my account go inactive for more than two years, I would certainly prefer to have it automatically deleted or turned into a memorial page.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
There's something about facebook recommending dead people as your friend that is intriguing. Comes to show how far reaching our internet activities have gone yet how linear our controls only are.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Unless someone sends Facebook a death certificate how are they supposed to know that someone is dead? It's not Facebook's responsibility to do background checks on members or constantly monitor public records.

G

I personally don't like that they are going to be doing this.
My family and friends still write on my decent family and friends facebook, and look through old photos and old post we made to each other. It's not fair that they are removing these. They are all we have left and now facebook is taking that away too.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
They should find the next of kin and give them access to download the photos and such, clean up the account and delete it. There might be something worth saving, even if it's just photos. People like to hang on to stuff like that.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
The solution is simple. Friends and relatives could flag someone's account as dead. Then, the system generates an e-mail asking the user to go to his personal details and set "Deceased" to "Yes". Also, where it says "Sex", you should put "No thanks, I'm dead".

Bulletproof.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I'm glad they're doing this I had a friend die within the last year and it seems like he comes up on that suggestions area or on the mutual friends list every time I'm on.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I think the scanning for RIP is the best option, but like with anything else it can be subject of abuse by group of pranksters repeatedly writing RIP on the victim.

G

Sensitive topic indeed, but I agree with Zak, flagging the account of a deceased member would be the best solution. But only family should be able to confirm or authorize this. Buzzdock is smart, they should be able to come up with something effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.