Factory reset itself

Missy_5

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
Could someone please give me step by step to fix my brand new hp laptop to get windows10back on it? I just bought it and microsoft expects me to pay 80 more bucks....it was not even a month old. Please help

Dragoned

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
You have insurance? Go to the store?
There has to be a reason. It cant just factory reset itself.
Any new programs you installed? Think.

Solution

Rocky Bennett

Respectable
May 25, 2016

That has nothing to do with Microsoft. Either take it back to the store and call Microsoft.

Rocky Bennett

Respectable
May 25, 2016

A factory reset is free. Maybe the OP has ransomware or a malware.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
If it is ransomware or malware, I don't think the retailer has an obligation to "fix" the computer.

Missy 5: What makes you believe Windows is no longer on your computer? What do you see when you turn it on? You may be able to get a recovery disk from HP.

"Factory reset itself"

No computer or laptop can factory reset itself - the process can only be started by pressing certain keys during the boot process.

It's only a month old so it's covered by HP's warranty, so don't mess with it - - contact HP to get it fixed.
No good expecting Microsoft to provide free help, their position with laptops is that the manufacturer is responsible for providing support when it goes wrong.

Missy_5

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
I live in a very rural area of Oregon...and cent just make a 200 mile round trip to get it fixed. The Wal-Mart's Associate said they did not sale service plans when my daughter askedfor one. Microsoft had to remote fix it 2times b4 it reset. And it did do it itself. Microsoft said yes sometimes if malware detected. I am not completey computer illiterate so ican for fact say...it did reset itself. I managed to get a strange windows it finally this morning and u you know what?? It shut down all By its little self and POOF gone again is my windows. I was intrigued Microsoftthat....only hardware is warranted by manufacture. I find it ironic i purchased it as first investment in my future. And believe firmly That i should have been given help for free As i just purchasedite. Now almost3months later there it Sits....i am frustrated. Customer service and quality merchandise are gone...