Fail0verflow Obtains PS3 Cryptography Key

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've been wanting to see something as bad as this happen ever since the rootkit DRM scandal many years ago involving Sony BMG and malicious audio CDs. It just proves that treacherous computing just doesn't work.

Keklian

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Will you please install an automated spam blocker?

These ads by "sdfdsfds" and "others" (the same guy) are easily scrolled by, but they are somewhat annoying. Not to mention the shame I feel for the sorry son-of-a-b****h who writes those awkward "ads". Get a life.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
What I DON'T GET is why do they still feel like locking the PS3 systems.... as far as I know they are now making a profit with each console sold, they are not losing money when selling a console, so why not just unlock it and make everybody buy one.????

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
The most exciting thing about this is the prospect of the PS3 being able to function like a TRUE media box (one that doesn't require a server to transcode unsupported formats) imagine being able to load an xbmc style interface, capable of using the entire system resources including the rsx, with full codec support for various media files!

I could see this development possibly being a bad thing for Sony, but it might actually end up being a boon to their sales depending on how the community makes use of their new access to the system.

Scott2010au

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Sony employees verbally promised everyone, in recorded media, that Linux would be installable on the PlayStation® 3 console during its release.

In firmware updates, and modern units, they revoked this promise.

Any consumer can lean on this, the videos are on YouTube (and elsewhere). Kept highly duplicated for a reason.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
I supposed if I bitch about the spam the sights recieving we'll get another 20 "new users"...

Sony's little temper tantrum is finally biting them in the ass again. And I for one am happy as hell this is happening again. I WANT this to happen because I would REALLY LIKE to have my PS3 run double duty as a nice gaming system, and a media server.

Status
Not open for further replies.