Failed HDD and LAN Correlation or Causation?

gremmelkid

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
At first the hard drive started quickly failing (hasn't been a year since it was bought brand new) On the last day before the new HDD I went to back up some files to find out the ethernet port disconnected. I figured the hard drive was the reason (not the first time it lost information). Fast forward a few hours and have the new hard drive in along with windows 10 bootoable USB. Got it all up and running along with driver CD's installed and even went as far as installing the LAN driver manually from my MOBO's website. Still doesn't show up in Device manager. I'm worried either my PSU is unstable or the MOBO is dying.

Solution
Motherboards can fail out of the box or any time after and it's likely that it was a batch fault. If you and your brother bought yours from the same store, chances are they were made at the same time.

It would only need one robotic solderer being short of flux and you both have dud boards.

gremmelkid

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017

Right, no I already have one on the way. It's just I have two identical mobo and cpu as me and my brother both built pcs in december. He had a brand new HDD while I had a 5 or 6 year old one. His hard drive started going out (the brand new one) and right before we put a new one in his ethernet went out.. I understand components can die all willy nilly like .. just wanting to make sure that with them both dying so close together, it isn't a cause for concern.

Motherboards can fail out of the box or any time after and it's likely that it was a batch fault. If you and your brother bought yours from the same store, chances are they were made at the same time.

It would only need one robotic solderer being short of flux and you both have dud boards.

Solution

gremmelkid

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017

So should I be worried about more of his stuff failing here shortly? Or was it maybe just a coincidence and if I got a new ethernet adapter with his new hard drive we could expect to get the most out of it till we go upgrading when tax time rolls around?