Fake Consoles Cause Holiday Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
This is nothing new. You could find these all over the place in China Town, and shady-looking gift shops. I've seen fake PS2's and Xbox's a number of years ago. In truth, they aren't anything close to the real thing--they're those cheapo crap systems that come with "50 games in 1" or some higher number, the really cheaply produced and/or ripped off old games that kids pay $5 for a handheld and get bored after 30min., or if you get a "decent" console you get ripped off verbatim Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter ROMs, among other games.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
If your shopping and you find yourself a bargin that’s to good to be true then it probably is, however these hustlers are very clever at what they do and human greedy is a soft target especially at this time of year.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
You will almost never Find a new console below it's MSRP (if the Console pulled a Dreamcast, or the world was ending/ended).

Anyone that actually believes that crap deserves to get what they did. It's Christmas, and your going to spend a few hundred dollars on a product, a rather large investment for quite a few people. Do some research, instead of acting like a victim of your own idiocy.

G

unless of course you buy refurbished which contrary to popular belief the hardware works a high percentage if not all the time since the company is required to rigorously test and fix problems before they are allowed to put it back on the market. Even if there was something wrong with it though most places offer a 30 day money back guarantee or a replacement if they have enough inventory of the product

Actually this misinformation is probably the only reason they are priced so cheaply at sometimes a 35% discount or greater so I won't complain to much if misinformed people get me cheaper hardware.

G

The console hardware makes a very minor profit so they are RARELY marked down below MSRP much less 50% off. Games are where the money is made so if you are looking for a deal look for a system with bundled games or a "buy 2 get the third free" deal at any local game store.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
The only way to ever fix these problems is to crack down on governments which have no law or ability to regulate. We also need to crack down on offenders, they're ruining it for everyone. I do not cheat, lie, or steal. Why should I suffer for people that pirate or make fake products? I say those people trying to make a quick deceitful buck should BURN. They used to STONE people for this kind of thing, and with good reason. Strict law is the only law there is. A slap on the wrist penalty means people are willing to take the risk of not getting caught.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]The only way to ever fix these problems is to crack down on governments which have no law or ability to regulate. We also need to crack down on offenders, they're ruining it for everyone. I do not cheat, lie, or steal. Why should I suffer for people that pirate or make fake products? I say those people trying to make a quick deceitful buck should BURN. They used to STONE people for this kind of thing, and with good reason. Strict law is the only law there is. A slap on the wrist penalty means people are willing to take the risk of not getting caught.[/citation]
They're only breaking the law when they make false claims.

It's one thing when people get ripped off on smaller, less expensive things. But the fact of the matter is it's the buyers fault in most cases. Some simple research would get rid of the majority of these problems. There are always going to be people out there try to make a quick buck at the expense of others, punishing them will only deminish how many there are, they will always be there.

But if no one is ignorant enough to fall for it, and people spend some time researching their products and services, no one will be able to make money trying to scam others.

G

Most consoles imported from Asia will come with a 110v power supply which will not have been tested in the UK as we use a different voltage.

The whole thing is about region locking and price fixing.

However if you buy a VII and are looking for a Wii then that's bad purchasing.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]They're only breaking the law when they make false claims.It's one thing when people get ripped off on smaller, less expensive things. But the fact of the matter is it's the buyers fault in most cases. Some simple research would get rid of the majority of these problems. There are always going to be people out there try to make a quick buck at the expense of others, punishing them will only deminish how many there are, they will always be there.But if no one is ignorant enough to fall for it, and people spend some time researching their products and services, no one will be able to make money trying to scam others.[/citation]

So what you're saying is that it's my fault for being a legitimate software user and being taken by false online sales, or for being a legitimate gamer, and having Microsoft sell me a dying XBox, or maybe it's my fault that you pirate? I don't quite get what you are saying I guess. Did you read my post?

Status
Not open for further replies.