FBI Raids Homes of Suspected 'Anon' Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
They would never be able to catch the real hackers, they're just grabbing a few of the hundreds of low level script kiddies that don't know how to proxy. Real hackers don't use a machine that can be confiscated, or a connection that's their own. The government will puff their chest up and call it a win, then get hit even harder.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
If they can fit a GPS antenna into a cellphone they sure can fit it into a laptop or onto a PC motherboard. Nowhere does it say that every chip and it's function need be disclosed; especially under the umbrella of 'national security'. And a GPS chip does not have to have a 'GPS' logo on it either :)
And before you know it there is that pesky knock on your door. Proxy or no proxy :)

rfatcheric

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]If they can fit a GPS antenna into a cellphone they sure can fit it into a laptop or onto a PC motherboard. Nowhere does it say that every chip and it's function need be disclosed; especially under the umbrella of 'national security'. And a GPS chip does not have to have a 'GPS' logo on it either :)And before you know it there is that pesky knock on your door. Proxy or no proxy :)[/citation]

rofl, you're an idiot.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
lol, i bet when they heard there members were being arrested they got rid/hid or gave them to friends/family to keep

only a foolish hacker or a script kiddie would not backup there computers

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]rfatcheric[/nom]rofl, you're an idiot.[/citation]

Hmmm, a few years ago BMW had an unusual amount of complaints about engine failures on new high end models; and the usual law suits that go with that.
Well, surprise, surprise... turns out the engine computer keeps detailed track of the engine usage. Over reving, short shifting and other things that effect a new engine. Result.... warranty claim denied.

The thing is, you may know a lot and be a cool hacker.... but you do not know all the things that may be well hidden in the chips, the OS and other places.

P.S. This 'idiot' works in computer security for prob. a longer time than you walk this planet insulting folks in chat rooms :)

G

Freggo,

You are an idiot! Plain and simple. You would let these falsified agencies take your freedoms and rights away for temporary security. You deserve neither. No one has the right to track you where you go, there will never be a reason to justify such extreme actions. People who want to control the world or others around them better find a solution elsewhere cause it won't be happening on my watch.

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Hmmm, a few years ago BMW had an unusual amount of complaints about engine failures on new high end models; and the usual law suits that go with that.Well, surprise, surprise... turns out the engine computer keeps detailed track of the engine usage. Over reving, short shifting and other things that effect a new engine. Result.... warranty claim denied.The thing is, you may know a lot and be a cool hacker.... but you do not know all the things that may be well hidden in the chips, the OS and other places.P.S. This 'idiot' works in computer security for prob. a longer time than you walk this planet insulting folks in chat rooms :)[/citation]
cant tell if trolling or...... an idiot....

retrig

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
[citation][nom]JOhneyBOY[/nom]Freggo, You are an idiot! Plain and simple. You would let these falsified agencies take your freedoms and rights away for temporary security. You deserve neither. No one has the right to track you where you go, there will never be a reason to justify such extreme actions. People who want to control the world or others around them better find a solution elsewhere cause it won't be happening on my watch.[/citation]
While I agree with your sentiments, please re-read what Freggo wrote. You're carrying on like some crazed lunatic about something which he/she never even said. He mentioned various spy technologies being embedded into electronics parts, which is indeed a very real worry. Nowhere did he mention supporting it. Learn to read.

theoldgrumpybear

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]If they can fit a GPS antenna into a cellphone they sure can fit it into a laptop or onto a PC motherboard. Nowhere does it say that every chip and it's function need be disclosed; especially under the umbrella of 'national security'. And a GPS chip does not have to have a 'GPS' logo on it either :)And before you know it there is that pesky knock on your door. Proxy or no proxy :)[/citation]

There has been tracking devices and fingerprint senders in chips longer than BMW has had engine computers. And yes I would clean out my car computer memory, or insert the info I wanted there before handing my car to Service.

I would guess the "real hackers" build thier machines with known parts and place the result in a "faradays cage" disabeling location tracking evices hidden in the "known parts" and check that the packages that leaves the machine does not send unwanted packages. When we did fun stuff 30 years ago we were paranoid enough to do it.

Of course you build your own OS, or at least parts of it, if you are too lazy to build your own. You can take a clean Linux distro, check the code, strip it of crap and off you go. Then add any checked modules etc etc

I hope people here realize that a real hacker knows more than just how to run bots.

deadrats

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
for the record my background is partially in computer science and am certified as a unix sys admin; i have no doubt that most of the people that were arrested were not anything higher than a "script kiddie", if that' more than likely their pc's had been root kitted and were being exploited remotely.

a true hacker, someone that knows what they're doing, will not only use a proxy, usually based in a country other than the one they are operating from but also use a public connection; such as the WIFI at a mcdonald's or a star bucks, or they look for unsecured/weakly secured wireless connections.

a smart hacker could do it from his home using the tor network connecting to a multiple foreign proxies and breaking into his/her neighbors WIFI.

also, a true hacker will have a dedicated system just for hacking, with minimal OS install, some incorrectly named cli apps for port scanning and remote access (usually the console built into the OS is sufficient) and a hidden encrypted small partition on the main hdd for any stolen data and apps that are used, so that if the hard drive were examined the partition wouldn't bee visible and if someone did discover it and somehow crack the encryption, the incorrectly named apps with fake extensions would still trip up an investigator.

anyone caught was either a complete noob or some poor sucker that will soon be released when it's realized that they don't have anything to do with anything.

the thoughts about gps' is silly beyond belief and the bmw story is non relevant.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Why would a real hacker use his personal laptop from his new york apartment? The real hacker is in Nigeria/China/Russia/Arkansas remoting into a web server, opening a vpn tunnel, connecting to a proxy, repeating the last 3 steps over and over again until they feel comfortable, then uploading their payload to one of their botnet hosts.

The saddest part about this, is that the people they arrested were probably part of said botnet and didn't even know that their computers were ddos'ing the FBI, or they bragged to some video game buddy about being a leader of Autonomous trying to gain some street cred and frighten the sheep. At least the FBI has found someone to point the finger at, and in the end thats what really matters, its not about catching the criminals, its about convicing the public that you caught the criminals. Off to Guantanamo terrorist! Guilty until proven innocent or executed.

/TinFoilHat off

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Why would a real hacker use his personal laptop from his new york apartment? The real hacker is in Nigeria/China/Russia/Arkansas remoting into a web server, opening a vpn tunnel, connecting to a proxy, repeating the last 3 steps over and over again until they feel comfortable, then uploading their payload to one of their botnet hosts.The saddest part about this, is that the people they arrested were probably part of said botnet and didn't even know that their computers were ddos'ing the FBI, or they bragged to some video game buddy about being a leader of Autonomous trying to gain some street cred and frighten the sheep. At least the FBI has found someone to point the finger at, and in the end thats what really matters, its not about catching the criminals, its about convicing the public that you caught the criminals. Off to Guantanamo terrorist! Guilty until proven innocent or executed./TinFoilHat off[/citation]

The FBI is smarter than that. They'd have proof that the systems weren't just proxies to remote machines before arresting anyone. Likely, these guys were the rank and file, script kiddies who didn't know how to insulate themselves too well. These kids will give up information on the higher ups in order to get lesser sentences. That's the way they bust drug dealers, and that's the way they'll work this deal. The really good hackers will likely be as difficult to catch as high level drug dealers, too.

ohseus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Go FBI, these hacker morons are no different than idiots who spray paint walls and declare how awesome they are. These groups are both arrogant and childish. The FBI will win in the long run.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I have to say i'm not impressed with the currant generation of hackers. All there doing was thought of already, I had friends that thought up moves like this 10 years ago. And it's still dumb. all they have done is released the names of service men, and deformed sights... broke into a couple of contractors, It didn't do much in the past, i have no idea why they would think it would be different this time

I hope they get arrested, so that way a new group with some creativity would be formed, or at least a group with principles and common sense. Since all that came out of the news just screams copy cat with a new bag o tricks.

If they really are hot stuff, all they need to do is get some military message traffic, or better yet fully crack a company worth its salt, that has interesting information that would send a statement other then "we can do that to". Until then I can only see them as copy cats of all the groups that came before. reminding me of the hack wars between China and the US that happened a while back.

Until there is something in the news to show other wise, I have vary little regard for copy cats. It means they lack the creativity to get out of really hot spots, while the government can just sit and wait, with a form of communication this group at least, cant even touch.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]The FBI is smarter than that....[/citation]
Don't take offense, but how do you know this? No offense to the FBI, but when you are told to find someone to push the blame on so the public see's some progress, then that's exactly what you do.

Look up Jeffery Parson. You really think a 16 year old from Minnesota created the Blaster Worm, and that the fed's would give him 18 months of house arrest/minimum security prison for over 50k cases of intentionally causing damage to a protected computer?

Using the drug dealer analogy is actually quite fitting. You can catch and imprison every drug user you see, but if you cannot find a strategy to catch the importers/manufacturer's then all your doing is wrongfully imprisoning your population. So far the war on drugs method has worked great....

Status
Not open for further replies.