FBI Raids Homes of Suspected 'Anon' Hackers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmithhatesVLC

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Arresting 14 year old teenagers who used LOIC, a simple free program to take down websites that ANYBODY could use with big SWAT team raids is a waste of tax dollars.

FBI must have nothing to do these days with Osama dead.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
The main problem the FBI is having finding the leaders is that they're assuming the leaders are actually hacking. It's more than likely the leaders are nothing more than figureheads. People who happened to push 4chan in a desired direction one day, then managed to someone keep their hold.

Basically, they just talked a big talk to a wide pool of people, and with so many listening, someone who agreed had the skills, and shared the tools/knowledge.

The leaders are just the current talkers. I say current because it's very, very likely that they're not the ones who originally formed anonymous. In fact I don't know if you could really say there ever was a founder. It's a stand-alone complex, to use the anime-term. A series of copycat events, yet no real origin of the copies. Look at the motives throughout the groups' history and nothing is consistent. There are no real "leaders." Just various people directing the masses when the chance arrives, claiming they're the original.

That's also why the FBI will never stop anonymous. It's not a group of people. It's not an organization. It's not a network. It's an idea. The direction of mob-mentality by anyone who happens to have the chance.

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
If you think actually hackers are never going to get caught, you are mistaking, technology is more and more traceable.

I am laughing at this so called revolution. Until I see a real government fall, I will laugh at them. The US can shut down an entire country internet... and just look at China, they can sensor whatever they want... on the contrary, I think something like Mirror's Edge reality is extremely probable...

Mastervivi10

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
The leaders are just the current talkers. I say current because it's very, very likely that they're not the ones who originally formed anonymous. In fact I don't know if you could really say there ever was a founder. It's a stand-alone complex, to use the anime-term. A series of copycat events, yet no real origin of the copies. Look at the motives throughout the groups' history and nothing is consistent. There are no real "leaders." Just various people directing the masses when the chance arrives, claiming they're the original.

That's also why the FBI will never stop anonymous. It's not a group of people. It's not an organization. It's not a network. It's an idea.

...so its batman?

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
>>>"It doesn’t matter how many people the 'FBI' arrest.. whether they are core members or not.. #anonymous have started something unstoppable," the group said via Twitter.

but at the end of the day, these kids are going to prison.

und3rsc0re

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
LOL listen to all the noobs who thinks these people going through a proxy would have not gotten them caught. These guys were using loic what this does is turns your comp into a makeshift bot for whatever server they connected the thing too then it starts ddos whatever target they point it to. What happens if you go through a proxy while ddosing a website through that proxy? Well good sirs you ddos your proxy and not the actual target idiots.

Smart guys would probably own a bot net of there own about maybe a few hundred thousand or so. They will issue commands to these bots through a ip address that there listening too. These guys will most likely buy a stolen laptop for 30 bucks from some guy that doesn't even speak english downtown. Take the comp around a neighborhood looking for open or easily crackable wireless networks bam there's your access. You guys don't know anything except whats a good enough gpu to play crysis LOL.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Why are the comments on this so much more misinformed / ridiculous than the usual tom's comments?

Secret monitoring chips that just happen to be in the hacker's gear.
Denying the fact that, if you put the effort in and are somewhat skilled you can guarantee your anonymity (just that most people don't put the required effort in).

And a pile more major errors. Where did all the real techies go?

potatolord

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Why do so many comments here assume the hackers are cleverer than the FBI/ spooks? The FBI/ MI5/ GCHQ don't recruit fools. They're highly intelligent, highy educated, methodical and well resourced. They're also patient. If they want you, they'll get you.

Assuming your adversaries are unintelligent is often a mistake.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]If they can fit a GPS antenna into a cellphone they sure can fit it into a laptop or onto a PC motherboard. Nowhere does it say that every chip and it's function need be disclosed; especially under the umbrella of 'national security'. And a GPS chip does not have to have a 'GPS' logo on it either :)And before you know it there is that pesky knock on your door. Proxy or no proxy :)[/citation]

Get your tinfoil at Dollar General I see.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]This 'idiot' works in computer security for prob. a longer time than you walk this planet insulting folks in chat rooms :)[/citation]

What, cleaning the toilets?

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Simply put, develop your "package" at home on a homegrown LFS. (read the source code before you use it)

Then park next to "free WIFI" away from the camera to "deploy package" with your pawn shop laptop.

I beleive this will be a short PR win for the FBI.

The "real hackers" look at this as a game/challenge and now it is their turn.

G

To all those who think that these folks were caught solely based on technological resources you have been mistaken. Hackers talk and can be social engineered just like anyone else. My guess is an FBI informant may have infiltrated the lower ranks of Anonymous and rat them out. Its not hard to do considering it appears that they are welcoming people to join their cause.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
If the people arrested are not the real hackers, IMHO, the real hackers should stand up and take the heat. Otherwise, they are cowards by letting others take the blame for their actions.

SASKEL

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
people forget these aren't fundamentalists, when the FBI starts raiding and arresting, it will crumble because what was once fun and empowering will now become scary and risky. I'm sure they love playing Call of Duty but when someone kicks your door down and puts a gun in your face its not so much fun anymore

Seriously ... most hackers are caught as a result of them bragging in forums, blogs or usenet sites.

:non:

A few stupid enough to leave a trail to a fixed IP also get caught.

My advice is to do the right thing and voice your concern or outrage at a particular issue by taking it to your local MP or signing a petitition, or some other legal recourse.

Getting caught up with some amateurish scriptkiddie legion of dumb and dumber is just going to end bad ... you might get a cake ... but you probably won't get to eat it.

These people as a group have caused some serious disruption ... somebody will have to pay.

Watch as somebody's parents ending losing their houses as a result of the legal battle.

If your a parent worried about what your kids are doing on your family computer get some advice from a computer expert ... install some software to restrict certain activities ... question (in a positive way) your kids about what they are doing on the computer.

Topics like this should be discussed with your children.

Consequences can be aweful.

Status
Not open for further replies.