FBI Raids Homes of Suspected 'Anon' Hackers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Watch in amazement as I predict the future...

Anon, lulzsec, and others like them continue to deface sites and thoroughly annoy law enforcement agencies. No worthwhile changes are made in the world, companies are merely inconvenienced and end users pay the price (both in time and money).

Politicians and law enforcement demand nationwide action to solve the "problem". Countries in alliance convince each other that this is needed on a global scale.

Net neutrality, net freedom, net privacy... everything we've grown to love about the internet is reduced to a highly monitored, highly restricted piece of shit. No global changes have occurred in Anon/Lulsec/ect favor, yet regular citizens have lost more freedoms due to the actions of a few.

That's my prediction. I still haven't seen any real reason for most of these hacks. They say they've started a movement, but it seems more like a collection of adolescents lashing out. If they really wanted to make a difference, they'd attack china's censorship or crash terrorist web rings or something. NOTHING GOOD will come from hacking Sony. They don't control anything worthwhile. Absolutely nothing good will come from posting government passwords on the internet. And even less good will come from releasing SOE account information.

I've lost respect for these groups and I have even less respect for those people on here that keep clicking the "Thumbs Up" button because they think these people are actually sticking it to the man. There are bigger problems in the world and e-vandalism isn't going to fix any of those problems. You can't hack away hunger, and you can't DDOS a corrupt politician.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Hmmm, a few years ago BMW had an unusual amount of complaints about engine failures on new high end models; and the usual law suits that go with that.Well, surprise, surprise... turns out the engine computer keeps detailed track of the engine usage. Over reving, short shifting and other things that effect a new engine. Result.... warranty claim denied.The thing is, you may know a lot and be a cool hacker.... but you do not know all the things that may be well hidden in the chips, the OS and other places.P.S. This 'idiot' works in computer security for prob. a longer time than you walk this planet insulting folks in chat rooms :)[/citation]

Didn't Aaron Barr say the same thing?

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]potatolord[/nom]Why do so many comments here assume the hackers are cleverer than the FBI/ spooks? The FBI/ MI5/ GCHQ don't recruit fools. They're highly intelligent, highy educated, methodical and well resourced. They're also patient. If they want you, they'll get you.Assuming your adversaries are unintelligent is often a mistake.[/citation]

And finally, some logic enters the room...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]retrig[/nom]While I agree with your sentiments, please re-read what Freggo wrote. You're carrying on like some crazed lunatic about something which he/she never even said. He mentioned various spy technologies being embedded into electronics parts, which is indeed a very real worry. Nowhere did he mention supporting it. Learn to read.[/citation]

Thank you for noticing :)
I was simply stating that one should not make assumptions on what a given piece of HW or SW does. I am certainly not blind to what our business controlled government, and countless 3 letter agencies, try to pull.
I'm the generation that used to PEEK and POKE on the ZX-81s and I can assure you there is more to code that a bloated Windows GUI reveals. I never met a professional programmer who did not put a backdoor or two into his code; usually for practical reasons but (I am told...) sometimes also for unsavory ones :)

Ah yes, and 'real' hackers don't code in Windows anyway !

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
90% of the comments are just people showing off their own "supreme skill/knowledge" in hacking. So pathetic. Everyone is calling this guy the "script kiddie/noob". I seriously doubt these name callers' computer skills are even close to that "script kiddie".

For those people who are calling the FBI incompetent, oh please, do you really think that you have superior knowledge in computer/hacking than the FBI? Granted I don't know you nor the FBI personally, but I think it's safe to say the FBI is much more competent than a random commenter here.

To whom is my comment pointed to? Well, if my comments hurt your little ego, then you know I am talking to you :)

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]What, cleaning the toilets?[/citation]

Hmm, yes. Personal attacks are the sign of the true professional :)
Sounds like you'd make a good politician.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Moonspell[/nom]To all those who think that these folks were caught solely based on technological resources you have been mistaken. Hackers talk and can be social engineered just like anyone else...[/citation]

There you go. Finally someone who can think 'outside the box' !!
That's why I said GPS does not always have to be a chip with GPS written on it.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Watch in amazement as I predict the future...[/citation]

Excellent, and right on the mark !

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]They caught but one lowly member from an army of thousands.The FBI wont win this fight.[/citation]
it took 10 years but bin laden is dead along with many of his other 'soldiers'
ever heard of the saying you can out run a cop but you can't out run a radio?
how about
the long arm of the law doesn't forget or forgive?
remember the soccer mom in minnesota, Sara Jane Olson, who blew up a police cruisers back in the '60s and robbed banks and murdered people?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/5005120/Soccer-Mom-terrorist-to-be-freed-from-prison.html
ya these guys seem to have forgotten about the motherboards having a a log of every keystroke made just for the purpose of catching hackers.

dkraptor

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]If you think actually hackers are never going to get caught, you are mistaking, technology is more and more traceable.I am laughing at this so called revolution. Until I see a real government fall, I will laugh at them. The US can shut down an entire country internet... and just look at China, they can sensor whatever they want... on the contrary, I think something like Mirror's Edge reality is extremely probable...[/citation]
So did Egypt... Now stop laughing!

dkraptor

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
And by the way, redgarl, you need dreamers for revolutions and evolution. If all the people would be like you, we would still live in caves. For how long do you think US or China can shut down the Internet? 1 year? 2? 100? Everytime someone will fight back, and you won't be part of it.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]it took 10 years but bin laden is dead along with many of his other 'soldiers'ever heard of the saying you can out run a cop but you can't out run a radio?how aboutthe long arm of the law doesn't forget or forgive?remember the soccer mom in minnesota, Sara Jane Olson, who blew up a police cruisers back in the '60s and robbed banks and murdered people?http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo [...] rison.htmlya these guys seem to have forgotten about the motherboards having a a log of every keystroke made just for the purpose of catching hackers.[/citation]

Yes, after 10 years of war, death, and billions of dollars, we killed Bin Laden (hiding in plain sight, amirite?), which permanently ended terrorism and antiamerican sentiment in the Middle East.

Oh...wait.....

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Watch in amazement as I predict the future...Anon, lulzsec, and others like them continue to deface sites and thoroughly annoy law enforcement agencies. No worthwhile changes are made in the world, companies are merely inconvenienced and end users pay the price (both in time and money).Politicians and law enforcement demand nationwide action to solve the "problem". Countries in alliance convince each other that this is needed on a global scale.Net neutrality, net freedom, net privacy... everything we've grown to love about the internet is reduced to a highly monitored, highly restricted piece of shit. No global changes have occurred in Anon/Lulsec/ect favor, yet regular citizens have lost more freedoms due to the actions of a few.That's my prediction. I still haven't seen any real reason for most of these hacks. They say they've started a movement, but it seems more like a collection of adolescents lashing out. If they really wanted to make a difference, they'd attack china's censorship or crash terrorist web rings or something. NOTHING GOOD will come from hacking Sony. They don't control anything worthwhile. Absolutely nothing good will come from posting government passwords on the internet. And even less good will come from releasing SOE account information.I've lost respect for these groups and I have even less respect for those people on here that keep clicking the "Thumbs Up" button because they think these people are actually sticking it to the man. There are bigger problems in the world and e-vandalism isn't going to fix any of those problems. You can't hack away hunger, and you can't DDOS a corrupt politician.[/citation]
Got that right! Look at what happened after 19 people with box cutters took down four airplanes in 2001.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
It's kinda funny how 'Bin Laden' comes up in this. Yes, it took them 10 years to get him. What does that have to do with finding a hacker ?
Bin Laden was a very well funded leader of a tight knit group of dedicated people.
Keep in mind, if you tick off a hacker he likely plants a virus in your laptop; you mess with someone like Bin Laden he is not going to bother with your laptop. That helps with the staying hidden part!

If you hack (and running a bot net hardly qualifies as that); you want your deeds to be known; otherwise what's the point. Take a good look around your buddies who know what you do/did and ask yourself how many of them would rat you out for say $250,000 cash from M$ and forgiveness of past sins. If your count is > 0 you have a problem.

It is not a question of IF you can be found but a question of cost-benefit for the XXX agency.
Keep in mind that the cops etc. can try and err again, and again, and again until they get it right. The criminals ( and hackers are nothing more than common criminals no matter how you like to spin it) make one mistake and are liable to get caught.

Go ahead and take a chance to ruin the rest of your live for your 5 minutes of fame for your successful ddos attack on some business (who will hardly suffer but gets free advertising).
If whatever website goes down for a few days you inconvenience the company/agency and mess with the lives of the millions of site visitors; regular hard working people who try to make it thru the day. Talk about anti-social behavior on a grand scale.

G

"allegedly being used in the group's DDoS attacks against businesses and government websites"

Yeah, and that allegedly sounds like some form of propaganda.

"have started something unstoppable"

I agree with that, but I don't agree with what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.