FCC Filings Point Toward PS3 Slim Refreshes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Why don't they slip a proper firmware upgrade for the Fat ps3s that keep YLODing because of the fan settings instead? Cmon Sony, for shame.

redux fountain

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
[citation][nom]rubix_1011[/nom]Excellent. Here-say is now 'news'. Please also start reporting on people being upset about figure skating outfits.[/citation]

I wouldn't quite call it "here say". Although there's no proof of anything, you cannot deny the newsworthy-ness of a highly competitive company filling a patent for one of it's most competitive products under psuedonym.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]eekitsericc[/nom]no wireless N yettttt?[/citation]

why do we need wireless N for game consoles? If the console is just connected to the network for internet, G is more than fine as the most ISP's don't offer 25(+) Mbps speeds. heck the majority of us dont even have 10mbps.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]rubix_1011[/nom]Excellent. Here-say is now 'news'. Please also start reporting on people being upset about figure skating outfits.[/citation]

You know what would be interesting? If you could take a picture of the guy holding a gun to your head that made you read this article, that would be really cool.

I think most of the whiners are a little confused about their frustration. What you really want Jane, et al, to write about is the newest Bulldozer specs, or an upcoming game with screen shots and a free downloads, the new Cell processor Sony is using, that will have the a single POWER 7 core as the main processor.

Except, they don't exist, and she can't make them exist. They have to report what's out there, not what you want to see, as much as they'd like to. So, if there's slim pickings (forgive the pun as it relates to this article), then they have to go with what's out there, instead of what people really want to see. It's a big ethical issue they face - they actually have to report real stuff.

So, if you don't like it, don't read it. If you want more interesting news, complain to the companies who should be making it! I'd like to read about a new Cell processor as well, but I'm pretty sure Tom's isn't the one at fault because there isn't one to report on.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]why do we need wireless N for game consoles? If the console is just connected to the network for internet, G is more than fine as the most ISP's don't offer 25(+) Mbps speeds. heck the majority of us dont even have 10mbps.[/citation]
I have a 25mbps internet connection through Verizon. If I want to get that kind of speed I have to have my computer connected by lan cable to the router. Otherwise if I use my wireless G network adapter my internet connection maxes out at 15mbps. So N wireless would be a huge benefit for me.

redplanet_returns

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]why do we need wireless N for game consoles? If the console is just connected to the network for internet, G is more than fine as the most ISP's don't offer 25(+) Mbps speeds. heck the majority of us dont even have 10mbps.[/citation]
two words: HD streaming

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]You know what would be interesting? If you could take a picture of the guy holding a gun to your head that made you read this article, that would be really cool.I think most of the whiners are a little confused about their frustration. What you really want Jane, et al, to write about is the newest Bulldozer specs, or an upcoming game with screen shots and a free downloads, the new Cell processor Sony is using, that will have the a single POWER 7 core as the main processor.Except, they don't exist, and she can't make them exist. They have to report what's out there, not what you want to see, as much as they'd like to. So, if there's slim pickings (forgive the pun as it relates to this article), then they have to go with what's out there, instead of what people really want to see. It's a big ethical issue they face - they actually have to report real stuff. So, if you don't like it, don't read it. If you want more interesting news, complain to the companies who should be making it! I'd like to read about a new Cell processor as well, but I'm pretty sure Tom's isn't the one at fault because there isn't one to report on.[/citation]

I have to agree with ta152h here. In addition to, the article wasn't overly long and was more conjecture than here-say.

I digress however, if it took you overly long to pour over this in depth and detail rich conjecture, then I do feel sorry for you wasting your time.

Seriously though, it was two paragraphs and a sentence. Whine less.

theramman

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]annisman[/nom]" It's nice to dream of an upgrade?"That's why we use PC, so we no longer have to dream.[/citation]
Hell Yeah!

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009

Maybe some people use their PS3 for streaming Movies and would love the luxury of a wireless N network because their console can be more than 3 bedrooms away from their router and still get a solid connection? My router is not that far from my PS3, it's N and unfortunately my PS3 won't benefit the range the N has to offer because it's 802.11G. I only get 77-83% reception.

G

@annisman:
Yeah, now I just dream about a game that actually takes advantage of my hardware instead of being dumbed down for the console port.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]It would be nice to have an SSD in the PS3 for faster loading.[/citation]
And 8 Gigs of Ram!

I would love a Ferrari as well, add that to the wish list.

gtown

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Everyone knows that the PS3's wireless adapter sucks balls, so this is great news! Hopefully now it will have a more reliable connection and maybe we wont need N after all.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
@ gtown

I've got a fat PS3 and I've never had any problems with my wireless, streams fine (non-HD), plays games fine, firefox is fast in linux, and download speeds are the same as the computer. I guess it sucks balls though, eh?

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
for those that need N

get a wireless N bridge, and connect it to the ethernet. And FYI, G is = 54mbs, with quality components it goes 100ft indoors. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.