FCC: Let's Use One Rating System

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
this is bull shit , parents don';t need more "tools" to help them be good parents , the FCC knows this ,parents taht dont give a shit wont give shit and wil stil let thier kids paly what they want , parents that do care about what thier kids acess , will take teh tiem to restrict that acess themselves , anotehr rating system wont change that one bit. this is simply about the goverment controlling these industries.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
ok... so video games and television has a rating system... why is this needed??? why not just advertise the systems in place and save the cash for i don't know... the DEFICIT. They might come up with a nice system but it looks like a massive waist of taxpayers money. I have a better idea let them develop a rating system to prioritize spending... dumb things like reinventing the wheel and building a better taco can be placed at the bottom where as health care and education can be at the top.

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Honestly in the age where a click of the mouse + credit card yields a media product installed on your hd from a site that's located anywhere in the world leads me to think why should studios care about a rating system? Think about it.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
It's not the rating system that's broken, it's the parents. I've been to three rated R movies in the past month and every one had some parent with at least one kid under TEN years old with them.

I'm not one for governmental interference in our lives, but that's sad. I'm a parent and my 15 year old isn't alloed to see rate R movies until the wife or I have seen it and talked about it. When our kids were under 13 they were completely off-limits.

As an adult, kids in a rate R movie usually ruins it. They're crying, talking, getting yelled at by the parent, too much of a distraction.

myriad46

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Besides the fact that parents are the ones in control here, and it is true that in a lot of cases they don't give a crap that maybe that the video game, "Chainsaw Carnage IV" may not be appropriate for a 6 year old, the ratings don't work anyway.

ABC family is a great example. Here's a channel that advertises itself as, I guess, good "family" television. You've got show after show about teenage pregnancy and Fraternity shennanigans. They aren't rated as adult material, but would you want your 9 year old watching? And,in another classic example, when ET the Extra Terrestrial was re-released, they edited out the insult "Penis-breath" to maintain the G rating. Ratings don't do a damn thing.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Parents need to care. I was at Blockbuster the other day where a father was buying used games for his kid (under 10). All games he was buying were rated at M. I can't remember the titles, but they were bloody and gory. The kid was saying "I want this and that", the father complied without a care in the world.

I'm disapointed again by fellow human beings.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]im pretty sure its not that hard to monitor what your kids watch, play, and talk about via cell phones. this is just for the parents who are too lazy to be actual parents. get off your on damned phone, and spend more time with your kids, dont expect everybody else to take care of them for you[/citation]
I read this type of comment non-stop here on toms… While I do agree, you cannot watch your child 24/7. My son is 13, I pay attention to what he’s doing and I spend as much time as possible with him but I cannot be there 24/7… He has a life and plays with his friends. With that said I also let him play GTA and watch R rated movies, I don’t believe in sheltering children. My son is very well behaved but he gets in trouble now and again like every boy.

Do you have a child? If you don’t then remember back to when you were young… Were your parents standing over you when you found that playboy in the woods and you and all your friends drooled over? No… were your parents there when you skipped class? Or stole their liquer? Or had sex for the first time? You can’t control a child but you can steer them in the correct direction.

While I do I agree with you to some degree, I also KNOW I cannot be around my son and to be frank there is no harm in having safe guards in place.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I hate the FCC. Just another reason for them to stick their noses in something that will serve no real purpose.

F*** the FCC.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
SamanualMC you have the beginnings of a snappy tune there. I can even here the theme from the Addams Family in the background when I read it.

The Freakin' FCC .... doodoodopdoomp, snap snap.

G

You know it's almost better to let the FCC come up with some rating system. I'd rather have them spending their time over the next 10 years trying to get one approved rather than continually beating on quality TV shows because they get slightly out of line so to speak. Secondly as a parent it is not easy to regulate content anyway. I cannot control what other kids/parents/teachers etc present to my kids. My opinion, tell your kids what it there before they try to figure it out on their own. Media doesn't ruin kids, parents who don't engage their children do.

Status
Not open for further replies.