Fewer People Downloading Music Illegally

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

OR maybe its because the growing availability of DRM free music online- i have started to purchase mp3 tracks now that they work in my car SD mp3 player, all my computers, my wifes ipod, and my gigabyte T400

LkS

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Yeah same here. I started using play.co.uk which has started offering DRM-free downloads. I would never use Itunes or other DRM stores because I want to be able to use the music I bought how I want. Now I can download DRM-free MP3s legally I would never consider using Kazaa or whatever.

It annoys me that the music industry has b**tched so much about piracy and not moved with the times. Downloading is the way most people want to get music these days. It's convenient and they should have given us legal sources of downloadable DRM-free music a long time ago. I suppose it was a similar situation when cassette recorders were invented.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I personally think downloading albums is retarded. And hate downloading music in general simply because it's to much of a hassle to keep track of it.

I like having a nice case, with some album art, and a hard copy. I really don't understand the huge interest in Digital Distribution for permanent ownership of anything significant. Not to mention Hard Copies of Albums bypass the whole DRM issue, and it doesn't have your personal information hiding somewhere on the files.

Perhaps I'm just old school like that, but I like having something up on the shelf, and the knowledge that I always have a safe copy.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
If I were downloading Music, it would only be illegally.

Buying Albums online is retarded (Digital Distribution for anything significant is retarded).

G

Probably because all the good music has already been downloaded and all the new crap music, nobody wants to download.

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
[citation][nom]Class Six[/nom]Probably because all the good music has already been downloaded and all the new crap music, nobody wants to download.[/citation]
I really agree with that. The last music I downloaded was from Billie Holiday, and she died over 50 years ago.

ThePatriot

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Watching means monitoring P2P traffic which in general is uncrypted and is advertising IP addresses. Monitoring downloads from Usenet with 256 bit encrypted SSL connections is technically very difficult for ISP's; that's why North american ISPs have cut off access to Usenet all together. Considering the successes of Usenet providers such as Giganews.com and XSNews.com, I wonder if downloads are down; P2P downloads are down.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]I personally think downloading albums is retarded. And hate downloading music in general simply because it's to much of a hassle to keep track of it.I like having a nice case, with some album art, and a hard copy. I really don't understand the huge interest in Digital Distribution for permanent ownership of anything significant. Not to mention Hard Copies of Albums bypass the whole DRM issue, and it doesn't have your personal information hiding somewhere on the files.Perhaps I'm just old school like that, but I like having something up on the shelf, and the knowledge that I always have a safe copy.[/citation]
I respect that view, but I definetly don't agree. If you've paid for some mp3's, why worry about your 'tag' being in them? it's not like you can hear that. I can't say I am not downloading stuff that I ain't authorized to, but I have to admit I've bought more music online in the last years, than I've bought cd's prior to that. I still buy boxed games and other stuff, where online downloads limit the number of activations. But mp3's don't need to be activated :)
Anyway, yes you're oldfashioned. That is a good thing so long your harddrive has a higher risk of crashing than your house of burning, but in a few years time everybody will have available online, or other, backup means to eliminate the risk of losing what you've paid for. And in many cases you can just redownload the stuff anyway. You can't however replace your case with the megadeth cd in or whatever it is you fancy.

[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]Oh hello 1,500 UK residents, we are going to watch you do illegal things okay! So go ahead... do something, we just want to watch[/citation]
I don't know for sure, but I would doubt they were actually monitored. These 1500 people were probably just randomly selected and inquired about it. Thus the only factor to blur the end result is dishonesty, which might admittedly be a significant factor.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
While I can understand the sentiment of having a hard copy of your music, I think that having a centrally located server that allows you to download your music from anywhere is worth not having a hard copy. Basically I want a "Steam"-like music service. CDs get scratched and hard drives die, but Steam is always there (assuming the company doesn't go under).

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
My problem with current music download services, is that they do not offer downloads in lossless formats such as wave or flac, I do not want to pay for a severely degraded version of the music. It sucks because the only way to get music in a lossless format is through buying CDs which is now a really dated method of buying music, with only a couple tracks you actually want.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
CDs are not loss-less. They are a digital format and any digital format will have some loss (though not necessarily through encoding). The only way to get a true representation of the sound is going entirely analog, from recording to final product.

Now, the vast majority of people can not hear the different between a wav file and a high quality (greater than 192) MP3. Maybe a better argument is that you should be able to buy higher quality MP3s. I guess if you just want to argue the loss-less argument on principle that's fine though. Also, I can't remember the last album that I bought that didn't have more than a few good tracks (though I don't listen to pop music).

G

or maybe people are using more Google search "Artist" "Album" "Blogspot" to get their music... I don't use P2P programs anymore, I just type that in google and I almost always find a blog with direct links to rapidshare, megaupload or sendspace where I can download my album at faster speeds than in a traditional p2p

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Of course - all the new songs coming our are terrible, and we have already downloaded all the classics which we love... So ya, what is there to download? BTW maybe if the recording companies didn't steal MY money for all those years, maybe I wouldn't be taking my share back now! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.