FFXIII Director Wants To Remake Final Fantasy 7

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Would love a re-make as long as they keep the core of the game the same. Its arguably the best FF game to date so why change a winning formula! As mentioned a graphics update would be more than enough.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I'd be far more interested in a remake of Panzer Dragoon Saga; improved graphics, videos substituted for cut scenes, that sort of thing. However, as the source code has been lost, and as it didn't sell well because not enough copies were made, it's extremely unlikely to happen.

If they did make it, they'd better leave it in Japanese. The atmosphere was incredible in PDS.

In any case, when HL: Source came out, everyone moaned that it was just a graphical update. Can't please everyone, I suppose, though in this case, they didn't use new textures. Gotta redo the textures at the very least, along with the model complexity.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
It's the last final fantasy game I played. Also my favorite. I don't think that now is the time to remake it however. I'd like to see a remake but I would put it off until the next set of consoles comes out.

john5246

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
If there's a game that should ever be remade with next gen graphics it's Shenmue

I don't know why I even care anymore but I can't over them not making Shenmue III.

toed

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
[citation][nom]Dekasav[/nom]I'm gonna get flamed for this, but, oh well.FF7 lacks in every way to FF6.That's all.[/citation]

FF6 and FF7 are both great. If they remade either, I'd be fine with whichever.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
this and chrono trigger should be remade. and if chrono trigger is remade than they should remake crono cross to complete the set :)

and guys saying it will just ruin the already great games then i have a tip for you

DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!

s62

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Dekasav[/nom]I'm gonna get flamed for this, but, oh well.FF7 lacks in every way to FF6.That's all.[/citation]

only people who haven't played FF6 would flame you. Most people broke their FF cherry with FF7; that's why you see all these FF7-lovers. But FF6's story and character development is after all these years the strongest out of all FFs IMO--this combined with the fact that FF6 was the last 2D-console-style-FF would make a far more interesting remake.

AND the soundtrack! The best videogame soundtrack EVER.

twist3d1080

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Final Fantasy IV was remade very well on the DS as was III. Minimal changes where made to ffIV while adding in all new 3d graphics. The voice acting was done as well as it could be with the limited abilites of the DS. I think that i would like to see a remake of FFVI and then a remake FFVII in that order. It would make me very happy to share these beloved stories with my kids.

G

I'd pay twice as much for a PS3 remake of FVII as I did for FFXIII. Let's talk price and maybe that will motivate Square.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
FF VII was 1st FF game i played and probably best from whole series.
If they remade it to FF XIII Engine i would buy it without having second thought. Only wish they didnt dropped XIII for PC to force me buy PS3 just to play 2-3 games I really wanted:/

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Yay, another Squeenix top guy saying we need yet another follow-up game to FF VII. What would make what, five or six spin-off/follow-up games for a single friggin' game in the series? The second-place finisher for FF is... X, which got the hilarious X-2 game.
Actually, I'd say gameplay-wise, minus being a little bit grindey, I'd concede that VII was on a par with VI. Now, story- and character-wise... The entire thing is very flat, with characters designed to appeal specifically to emotional, immature teenagers of the time. Hence, it has tons of fans of those that really caught it when they were young, and now can't really look back and realize it was pretty stupid to cry over Aeris' death.

public n-m-e

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I think that Infinity Ward should lead this project, and add in some FPS elements. Just imagine your in the heat of a battle when..BAM!! You switch to Barrett and Boom!!!! Headshot!!! on a Bandersnatch! Or your having an epic battle with Jenova and Bam!!! Predator Strike!!! Muah Muah Muah!!! Supreme.

G

Why the need for ff7 to be remade surly the more deserving and needed would be 6 ? But only if they stuck to the principles of the game im thinking more of the art direction and layouts of the ps1 era final fantasy's, mainly fairly static overhead cameras but with hugely detailed 3d enviroments with maybe the chance to zoom in ?
im not decided on voice acting normally i would say take it out, as its normally laughble but with ff6 you have to take into account of kefka's laugh

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]For me the timing is all wrong. The current generation of consoles are going to be replaced soon and 3D gaming is on its way in.[/citation]
I dunno... Since Microsoft and Sony have had what they'll privately admit as disappointing returns on their consoles, (both expected to control >50% of the market, versus the 28/24% respectively they DO have now) I think both will want to continue with their current batch in hopes of making them turn out allright. And after all, they JUST unveiled Natal/Move. And at the current rate, Nintendo sees no need to butcher their golden goose for a new one; if sales really DO seriously fall, they might, but with only mild bumps like they currently have, they'll probably just wait for the others to make a move. So the 8th generation of consoles will likely have to wait for once; perhaps delayed entirely to 2013-2015, which normally is where the 9th generation should've started.

As far as 3D gaming goes... I seriously doubt that it's the future. To me, it seems like most will consider it a worthless gimmick. Plus, the pain of programming it in will likely not be liked much by many developers, who will point to the few people who bother with 3D televisions, and it could be a self-feeding cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.