Find a Fake Microsoft URL

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllanDale

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I need to know how to bring up a Fake Microsoft Pop-Up that gives these false warnings about the browser being locked.

AllanDale

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Hello. I want to find the url for a fake pop up that some microsoft scammers throw at me. He said that I can open DOS to find the url and from there, somehow be able to block the site from ever being able to put the fake on my computer again. I have much to learn, but I can find the person who stated what I am talking about if i need to. sbarkan is the individual that stated this. It was given on this site. Thank you.

AllanDale

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
No, I am no scammer. Couldn't if I wanted to. I have received a fake microsoft pop up that tells me my PC is locked and etc. I am trying to figure out how to find the url of the scammer fake and block it. Simple as that.

USAFRet

Illustrious

How is this "popup" appearing?
Whatever URL you may trackdown will give you zero information about the physical human behind that.

AllanDale

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
It's like a bsod and just stops everything and tells me my browser has been locked and is sending all my personal information, etc. I know it's not but am trying to block it. sbarkan has a comment about what I'm trying to do. He states I can bring up the url being used to send the fake msg and block it. But, I don't understand how to bring up a DOS if my browser won't function without stopping the fake with the task mgr.

USAFRet

Illustrious

What does your antivirus and malware report?
Tracking it down is useless. Get rid of it.

AllanDale

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
My Windows 7 Security Essentials doesn;t pick it up. I have Superantispyware and malwarebytes but nothing picks it up before it opens in my chrome browser. Check sbarkan and see if what he says is possible.Open a DOS window and identify the URL of the offending site generating the malicious fake popup. Now take the URL of the site which in this case is accesserror9075x014.com but this is true of any such malicious site. In the DOS window type "Ping accesserror9075x014.com" or NSLOOKUP and the URL or Tracert and the URL. One way or another you will get the actual IP address of the site. Now google how to block an IP address in windows (Windows key + R) and type fw.msc. Now follow the instructions to create a custom rule to block that IP address. Next run notepad with administrator privileges and edit the file C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. Note that their is no extension and you should not add .txt which is the default of Notepad. Look at examples in the file and add 127.0.0.1 followed by the url which you wish to block. In our example this would be

127.0.0.1 accesserror9075x014.com # Blocked by <your name> on <this date> because <your reasons>

Note that you must only use notepad and not any fancy wordprocessor and it is a good idea to add a comment as shown but substitute you information for the generic field in the <>.

Save the file as hosts. From now on this site will be totally blocked from your computer.

You may also use this for any other sites that you wish to block.

Good Luck

Meir Elazar Is it possible that it somehow embeds into my registry ?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Keep in mind that various scammers use various URLs. There is no single source for these jokers.

Update your anti-virus/anti-malware tools and perform periodic scans. Practice smart cyber hygiene. No one who is legit, will ever call you to solve a problem. Never.

AllanDale

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

Thank you. I still want to see if it's possible to do a DOS rule and block it if it's possible. Thanks to everyone who helps us on this site. I don't visit it often but am always glad for the assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.