Fingerprint scanner windows 10

Solution
Coming from the security aspect, I would personally, and professionally, advise you to avoid fingerprint scanning security. The technology has been easily hacked a number of times at various hacking conventions, as well as all over the internet. If you have an alternative, I'd recommend using it. So far, fingerprint-based biometric verification is quite poor for security, and it's unlikely it will get much better any time soon. Just being upfront, since security has been a huge hobby of mine for years.

With that said, if the reader currently is functional with your laptop right now, and you're using a different version of Windows, there's a good chance the hardware will work on Win10. Will there be a driver available, though? That's a...

babi1987

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

thanks for your reply. I wanted to know whether the hardware is supported is not?

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

Most scanners hold some kind of hash keyed to the device not an image of your print. If you don't trust this kind of stuff then you'll need to write your own OS and make your own hardware, and your own internet.

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
If it's one built into your laptop it will most likely support fingerprint scanning at the bios level, which if it's not supported in windows 10 is something you can fall back to. If it's been out for a while and HP already made its money off of it don't expect them to pay people to write new drivers for win10

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
What I'm attempting to say is that you either have to trust that stuff works the way it is meant to and is safe, and therefore use it, or don't trust and don't use it at all, as if there is a reason to mistrust it, then there are many reasons to mistrust it, i.e. if your mistrust the fingerprint issue, then you'd may as well distrust email, webpages, everything and do nothing of consequence on a PC. The alternative to trust is to develop a whole solution yourself.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Coming from the security aspect, I would personally, and professionally, advise you to avoid fingerprint scanning security. The technology has been easily hacked a number of times at various hacking conventions, as well as all over the internet. If you have an alternative, I'd recommend using it. So far, fingerprint-based biometric verification is quite poor for security, and it's unlikely it will get much better any time soon. Just being upfront, since security has been a huge hobby of mine for years.

With that said, if the reader currently is functional with your laptop right now, and you're using a different version of Windows, there's a good chance the hardware will work on Win10. Will there be a driver available, though? That's a great question. I'd recommend checking on the HP website, and seeing if your computer has any drivers available for Win10. If you can't find any valid drivers, you could try using IObit Driver Booster 2 to obtain a driver. So far, that has been the best solution to solving my driver problems, and I'm currently using their Pro version, as the free version is absolute shyte for download speeds (capped around 100 kB/s).

That's about all I can really say. As eatmypie mentioned, it's unlikely another driver will be written if it's an older piece of hardware, and they've made their share of profit from it. Usually, older hardware will have some sort of compatibility with the next gen OS, but it's up to the companies who made the hardware to release drivers at that point. If you can find the specs for the fingerprint reader/scanner, see if they have any drivers for Win10.

Solution