Firefox 14 Lands on Android; is a ''Complete Reboot''

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Just tried it, and what an improvement! The previous mobile versions of Firefox for Android were terrible on my Droid 3. Super laggy interface and page scrolling to the point of being absolutely unusable. Now it's much smoother than the stock Android browser, though I wouldn't quite call it buttery smooth just yet (this may just be a limitation of my phone + Android 2.3). And pages load fast. I'm guessing there's some sort of GPU acceleration going on here, which the stock Android 2.3 browser doesn't support.

This is probably my new mobile browser of choice.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Not bad. For once, a version of Firefox that actually runs smoothly on something less than a quad-core desktop machine with discrete graphics. However, I still prefer Chrome. (that said, if my phone wasn't running ICS, I might switch to FF)

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
It's much, much better, but still needs some work. Love the "Tell sites not to track me" option. Touch responsiveness is good, but scrolling is still not as smooth as the Dolphin Browser, Stock Browser/ICS+ Browser, or Chrome Beta browsers -- in FF the scrolling goes smooth, then it hiccups, then smooth, then hiccups (I'm on a Galaxy Nexus, btw). Also, while rendering is pretty good, it still doesn't render pages as well as the other browsers -- check IGN.com as an example -- the top search bar doesn't stay put on the top of the screen in FF like it should, but it does in the other browsers (in FF it eventually moves back to the top, but when scrolling you'll see it in the middle of the page). I'm sure they'll continue to optimize though and work out the kinks -- they were late to the mobile browser game, but this release has definitely improved the quality of the browser rather quickly, so we'll see what happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.