Firefox 5 Preview Available Now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]They just release 4.0 which is crashing some people's video card drivers and still no fix for this problem that has been present since last years beta versions and they already are pushing out the preview for the next version? Seems to me the team that is working on 5.0 should be reassigned to fixing the current problems before they focus heavily on the next version which could possibly include the same bug.[/citation]

They are running obsolete video drivers... They asked for it.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]+1 to this. everyone on her posts how flash crashes firefox on them constantly and i have been using firefox 4 since beta 6 and flash never crashes on me once. its not firefox it because you do have crappy computers. the same goes for all the vista haters. don't blame vista blame your crappy computer[/citation]

Noobs will be noobs.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]+1 to this. everyone on her posts how flash crashes firefox on them constantly and i have been using firefox 4 since beta 6 and flash never crashes on me once. its not firefox it because you do have crappy computers. the same goes for all the vista haters. don't blame vista blame your crappy computer[/citation]

My computer is far from crappy; Core i7 930 cpu OC to 3.2, 8 gigs of Gskill DDr3 1600 ram. Dual HD 5770 Gpus 750 watt corsair psu, gigabyte EX58-Ud3R mobo and FF 4 still crashes with flash alot.

My flash, java, windows updates, antivirus gpu drivers etc are all up to date and still get crashes.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]My computer is far from crappy; Core i7 930 cpu OC to 3.2, 8 gigs of Gskill DDr3 1600 ram. Dual HD 5770 Gpus 750 watt corsair psu, gigabyte EX58-Ud3R mobo and FF 4 still crashes with flash alot.My flash, java, windows updates, antivirus gpu drivers etc are all up to date and still get crashes.[/citation]

so what? just because everything is up to date doesn't mean you should assume you don't have a problem. or do you just want me to come out and say that it is a user error somewhere? i don't even think my GPU drivers are up to date and i still have no issues with flash crashing

G

ok captaincharisma. So you're saying that somehow despite his system and OS being in tip top shape with updates and a good PS it MUST be him right? How could somebody EVER have a different experience that's not their fault! It couldn't possibly be a complex piece of software's fault could it?

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]garddest[/nom]ok captaincharisma. So you're saying that somehow despite his system and OS being in tip top shape with updates and a good PS it MUST be him right? How could somebody EVER have a different experience that's not their fault! It couldn't possibly be a complex piece of software's fault could it?[/citation]
I guess its not my grandma's fault she can't find the power button on her laptop either.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
why would i want to preview now if the first experimental stable release will be available on 2nd week of April and expected interface changes will appear only in may? i'll wait more.

chaos133

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Firefox 4 has been very stable on my system, I can't remember it crashing once yet.

I'm guessing that Firefox 5 was meant to be the real Firefox 4, I think they just rushed Firefox 4 to get it released close to IE9.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]so what? just because everything is up to date doesn't mean you should assume you don't have a problem. or do you just want me to come out and say that it is a user error somewhere? i don't even think my GPU drivers are up to date and i still have no issues with flash crashing[/citation]

Yea, that makes lots of sense. All these reasonably tech savvy people in the world all having problems with FF and flash can all be traced back to user error. Sure thing buddy. People like you are why companies are allowed to get over with shoddy work cause you will defend them no matter what.

G

Crashes? I've been using Firefox 4 since about beta 6, and have never seen any crashes.

But then, of course, if there's GPU acceleration and your drivers haven't been updated since 2004 or so...

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
@tical2399: people who proclaim themselves "tech savvy" are usually egotists who think that, since they've edited one registry key one day, they're above the rest of the population - and usually, when I'm called in to fix some computer after a tech savvy guy went over it, they've made such a mess with settings, default applications, even hardware parameters, that it's faster to start from scratch.
If Fx 4 crashes after updating, you must do a few things:
- backup all bookmarks, security certificates etc. somewhere
- uninstall the browser, all extensions and plugins, and delete user profiles
- clean up the computer (remove crapware, clean up the disk, do a registry check) and update it (Windows Update: apply all security and driver updates, including SP2 - Vista - or SP1 - Win7 - and IE9, which comes with critical Direct2D fixes)
- reinstall Fx4 and import back settings.
- there is a known bug with Java; ensure you don't have Java installed, or that you have the latest version, and disable the plugin in Firefox if you don't have use for it.
- get the latest Flash plugin (10.2.503.1).

If it still crashes THEN, you should open a bug report to Mozilla.

electricprism

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Attention: To anyone that hasn't heard, The Firefox Team last I heard is planning on upgrading to Firefox 7 by later this year,

With each version will come new web features suchas WebGL, SVG Support & Better WebSocket Support for WebApp Development.

It's not commonly known by the users of chrome that they're running Chrome 10, Firefox is switching to a quicker release cycle in order to stay up to date with the evolving Web Space Technologies.

G

tical2399 :
My computer is far from crappy; Core i7 930 cpu OC to 3.2, 8 gigs of Gskill DDr3 1600 ram. Dual HD 5770 Gpus 750 watt corsair psu, gigabyte EX58-Ud3R mobo and FF 4 still crashes with flash alot.My flash, java, windows updates, antivirus gpu drivers etc are all up to date and still get crashes.

that is far from truth. My system is Intel pentium D 1gig ram and 3.2 Ghz processor with highly outdated drivers. but my FF4 dosen't crash.

dasdasa

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Disable hardware accel for vids in ATI CCC, Firefox and Flash Player.
It's a known bug, which we don't know specifically who's responsible for.
(could even be all 3)

G

i enjoyed using firefox before uprading to firefox 4. i don't know whether it's my pc or i'ts the browser itself is the problem. it often crash and not responding. then i turn to google chrome

G

Type "about:crashes" in URL bar.

Then click on each crash.

Then you will go to Crash report page.

If there is no bug filed. File one with a link to the crash report.

G

Firefox 4 crashes even on my ubuntu 11.04 64 bit system ... enough said !!
It's a plugin issue , anyway , not firefox itself ! mostly adobe shockwave but flash also gives some problem .
I use chromium instead . The SIMPLE difference between Mozilla and Google broswers is that if a tab crashes in chrome/chromium you can simply kill that tab without having to kill all the browser . In firefox if a tab crashes all the browser will close . Eventhough there's a "restore" session option it will bother me the same .
To keep it short : if you are an heavy user of flash , shochwave and similar plugins you will SURELY and ALWAYS face crash issues . But chrome/chromium will save most of your working time by just crashing 1% of the times ( compared to Firefox ) .
Anyway ... you're free to use whatever you want to surf the net ( even Explorer !! ah ah ! ) .
Cheers from Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.