First BlackBerry 10 Phone Won't Have Physical Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

They are SO missing the point and as much as I hate to say it, they pretty much deserve to fail.

Best hardware in the world is USELESS if the apps we want are not available. Have used blackberry for years - but unless I can play words with friends, and run the navionics app (or something similar), my next phone will be an Android. I'm done.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
RIM is getting desperate and is shows. They¡re willing to ditch their most distinguising feature: their keyboards, which are far better than any other smartphone company. Trying to compose a long email on a touchscreen is a pain.

Scratch the keyboard, and they've got nothing.

G

Why in the world did MS get into bed with Nokia instead of just buying RIM outright?

G

Bad move. Two things RIM needs to do, focus on touch screen (hybrid) smart phones, with touch screens, and use Android. Or better yet, customize an Android interface with Blackberry hardware and put Blackberry exclusive interface/apps with it (like Sony/HTC/Samsung does). I would buy one of those. The Blackberry touch screen phone is a joke with bad apps.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Wow! Really, Jane! Oh, wait! How is this news as it was known for months now.
... well, but what else could an iPhone loving young lady write about the competition of her favorite brand?

[citation][nom]sexyjulie[/nom]Bad move. Two things RIM needs to do, focus on touch screen (hybrid) smart phones, with touch screens, and use Android. Or better yet, customize an Android interface with Blackberry hardware and put Blackberry exclusive interface/apps with it (like Sony/HTC/Samsung does). I would buy one of those. The Blackberry touch screen phone is a joke with bad apps.[/citation]

Why should they use Android, dude? Oh, wait BB10 does support Android apps, you know!

Actually if RIM manages to implement it right, BB10 will be the best OS for mobile devices. It has so much potential because it is based on proven over decades technologies: QNX real-time kernel used from airplanes to nuclear power stations and the Qt software toolkit. It also supports Flash, Adobe AIR and HTML5 apps. And and it has a hardware accelerated UI and supports C++ native applications right out of the box, unlike Android that runs on slow ass Java virtual machine.
I am actually a google fan but it is essential for everybody that RIM stays afloat and be an alternative to iPhone and Android. Despite the fact that I love google's products. Google has one big fault: all their products are in an eternal Beta state! And they drop products unexpectedly way too often. Also the future of Android is not yet sure. Everybody from Oracle, to Microsoft are trying to stifle it.

So let's see what they will come up with.

Different people have different needs. Not everybody needs a multitouch screen to play games at the expense of battery life and poor ability to make phone calls. In that respect I still prefer my slow ass, ugly, boring Nokia phone that can make reliable phone call and even that it is over two years old or maybe close to three, it battery still holds for days.
Now no flashy iPhone can do that!

G

As much as I'm used to the blackberry physical keyboard, I can't blame them from switching to touchscreen with the BB10 if they want to be in the game. They will add a number of features I phones 4S and Androids phone already have and eventually (hopefully) improve them. They could actually launch 2 types of phones simultaneously, one with a physical key and a touchscreen one.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Good move, I am using BB Curve, it is almost imposible to dial a number / answewr to IVR options using just one hand.

G

A BB with no keyboard is no BB at all.

I do prefer T9 keypad to full keyboard on a physical sense, abt a year down the road touchscreen drifted away and keyboard is not accurate. But true keyboard gets in the way from time to time.

rcmaniac25

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
As Zingam has said, this has been known for quite some time. I just find it funny that people think that one size fits all. Just go all touch right? There are people out there that have iPads, iPhones, Android phones and tablets and still carry a, usually, company issued BlackBerry because they like the keyboard and don't like the full touch screen keyboard.

G

Like someone else said, the fact that the first device will be an all touchscreen device has been known, even by me, for almost 2 months. Someone from Associated Press decided to write an article about it a few days ago and suddenly news organizations all over the world pick up on it as news. Maybe they got the article on discount instead of doing real news gathering. Most of the media seems clueless when it comes what is happening out there.

I think the decision to come out with a full touch screen phone first is the right one. Fully focusing on 2 phones would delay the launch and getting it on the market as quickly as possible is important. They have said that a phone with a keyboard will follow shortly after so I don't see why it is such a big issue for some.

Give the guys at RIM some credit. Their decision is not based on old second hand information and hearsay. If you follow the development of the device and what they have shown so far, you will realize that their touchscreen interface will not be just another run of the mill interface. I consider myself a keyboard type of guy but from what I have seen of the touchscreen keyboard so far, I think that is the phone I would prefer.

As for applications, they have gone overboard to attract developers to the new platform providing great financial incentives to them and making it as easy as possible to develop for the platform. Developers seem excited as shown by the number of people attending the Blackberry Jam World Tour which is visiting 23 cities around the world and the comments after the sessions.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
This has been said repeatedly by the CEO as far back as 2 months ago. Why is this "news"?

This just shows that the entire news and tech world is out to kill RIM for no reason. One less competition is what people want? Really?

eddieseven

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
To be honest, The Blackberry looks like a model T Ford compared to today's technology.
Hurrah to an update, upgrade or better still something new, perhaps in the way of development in the speech recognition line and do away with touch typing altogether!
As an Apple Fanboi I expect the next update to ios 6 to give me voice control over to whole contents of my phone! Pehaps a little too optimistic I know but you never can tell where R&D will go next. Tech is released on a year by year basis purely for financial reasons so who knows what we will get next? Blackberry however is hanging on its lasts threads if it doesnt go with the flow then it will be consigned to the nearest dumpster or in British the nearest skip in the very near future. Yes, I can run my whole life on my Phone and after all, isnt that what we all want?

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
As an Apple Fanboi I expect the next update to ios 6 to give me voice control over to whole contents of my phone!

Let me burst your bubble. It won't have control over thrid party apps installed on the phone, but guess what? Windows Phone 8 will!

Time to trash that antique iphone for some better technology

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]but what else could an iPhone loving young lady write about the competition of her favorite brand?[/citation]

What makes you say Apple is my favourite brand, exactly? Or even that I am an 'iPhone loving young lady'?

FYI, I use a Nexus S. Before that, a Nexus One. Before that, a terrible Sony Ericsson that I don't like to talk about.

Not that it will make any difference to you (you seem to have made your mind up about me already), but I very nearly ditched my Nexus S for a Bold 9900 in January because I hate touchscreen typing. Why did I eventually decide not to get it? Because I convinced myself I would feel silly when BlackBerry 10 came out later in the year.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Hmmmm....
BB still does not see the real problem.
I had Bold and I am not really happy with it.
I have to restart the phone for each new app installation.
No touch screen and small screen make it difficult to see websites on Bold.
My Bold crashes every now and then (quite often)
Bold is sh*t slow for browsing compared to my old Desire (I will leave my SGS3 out of this comparison)
I lost my stored contacts (BB pins, etc.) twice, and I have ask my friends so that I can add them again.

OK, I enjoy the push mail and the messaging service...but...that is about all.

I am now using Whatsapp on my Desire and SGS3 and hey...I see no real need of BB messaging service...altho' I missed the push mail stuff....

I also miss the hard typing using physical keyboard like on my Bold...I can type a lot faster with physical keyboard than using the virtual one on the touch screen.

Taking out the keyboard...well...RIM is dying and will die faster....

I have sold my Bold and get Desire and now moving to SGS3...I ain't planing to go back to other RIM products until they have better offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.