First Criminal Trial Regarding Console Modding

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Why is it legal to apply a crack to a game you've bought, but not to a piece of gaming hardware that you've bought? Or is this silly law only applicable in the us and also prohibts cracks?

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Prove that I was gonna buy you're crap in the first place eric. God that lame ass arguement pisses me off. I'm not taking your car, your wallet, or anything of a pysical possesion.[/citation]
You've again proven you are nothing more than an asshole and a thief. Lame ass arguments? You're the one bringing them up. "I'm not taking your car blah blah blah" is another attempt at pricks like you to justify stealing. People who actually believe this shit (since it's not physical property it has no value, therefore it's not stealing) just don't get it and don't realize the amount of time & money goes into creating software.

Try out the full version? Then explain why Photoshop is one of the most copied programs around. Adobe gives you 30 day trials of their software, so why does it get pirated?

BTW, you've already bought my software, and I thank you for it. If you or your friends/family drive a newer car (less than 10 years old) chances are excellent there's software inside that I worked on. So I thank you for your patronage.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Case was dropped due to the illegal method they used to obtain the evidence, thinking the government has the right to just walk into anyones house and put up cameras without getting a court order is just plain wrong and illegal.
With all the press they had to drop this case otherwise they would be in breach of the constitution.
The government agencies that have formed this year are trying to stamp out piracy ,ICE ect. are resorting to get the goods by any means possible including wiretapping, and illegal surveillance.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I'm still holding out for when a case like this goes through, so the courts will strike down the DMCA for the violation of rights it is. Yes, the courts can do that. The DMCA, in pretty much every portion, is a direct violation of the consumer's rights through the First Sale Doctrine, which was first established by the US Supreme Court over 100 years ago. And it applies to both copyright and patent law. No need for "fair use;" once someone buys an Xbox, legally, it no longer belongs to Microsoft; they can't dictate WHATEVER what someone does with it. If they want to modify it and sell it, that's their prerogative.

The DMCA is a mess of not-really-enforceable stipulations, that ranges from shaky to downright illegal. I'll be glad once it's finally gone.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Then explain why Photoshop is one of the most copied programs around. Adobe gives you 30 day trials of their software, so why does it get pirated?[/citation]

Photoshop being pirated has nothing to do with the software itself. It's being pirated because it's the ONLY image editor that common people know about. They have no idea about any other software that can do the same.
And I'm guessing they pirate it for serveral reasons. One would be that when replacing their computer with a newer one, it might've been bundled with the old (hp does that on highspec models among others), but not come as standard on the new. Or there might be a new version out that they feel they're obligated to get because they bought the old one at an enormous cost.
Ofcourse there are also those who just pirate because they don't care about programmers and all the bloodsuckers between them and the end user. And obviously as of late, also the group that simply can't afford to buy it due to increased unemployment.

In short : it gets pirated, because it's the only image software people have heard of, and because it's too costly for owners to keep updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.