First Direct Image of Alien Planet Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SevenVirtues

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I love the last paragraph, you get that when astronomers need something to day, at the end of the day the planet could be just like earth. 90% of things we are taught about space, distant planets, black holes etc. is all guess work.

SevenVirtues

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Also as far as I am aware there is no such thing as "black hole technology" and it certainly wouldn't allow us to travel there. Could you possibly mean worm hole?

proletarian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
is it coming to get us?
can we eat it?
can we live on it?
can we mine anything from it's crust?
will any of us ever see it?

if none of these questions can be answered with the word "YES" then what the **** is the point?

find me a planet to live on *******.

*Post edited by moderator* Cool it on the language.

SevenVirtues

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Oh and to be technical, we have hundreds of pictures of alien planets, Mars, Venus etc.

You mean first picture of a planet outside our solar system.

Man I'm such a dick lol.

xacrex

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
isn't looking that far away is like looking into the pass? for all we know they have a death star right now

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]SevenVirtues[/nom]Also as far as I am aware there is no such thing as "black hole technology" and it certainly wouldn't allow us to travel there. Could you possibly mean worm hole?[/citation]

well... techically... worm hole is created by black hole (by theory) so.. the suthor is not that far from the theory... just kind of incomplete...

Anyway... back to the story.. while it is not a surprise it is always fun to see what is up there. While it is just like SevenVirtues said... most of these are still theory.. but well... unless it is proven wrong it may still be true... Since most likely I won't see any man kind traveling that far in my life time... it won't hurt to have some imagination and creativity on this...;)

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Even if we COULD implement "wormhole" technology ,and it WAS cool enough for us to land on, the gravity would probably be strong enough to crush most people. it probably has at LEAST 3-4 times earths gravity.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]xacrex[/nom]isn't looking that far away is like looking into the pass? for all we know they have a death star right now[/citation]

True... but since it is only about 500 lightyears away (if their caculation is right)... so we are only looking at the history ~500 years ago...

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
It's great that a lot of these astronomy related discoveries are being made in Hawaii. It's probably the best location in the US and amongst the best locations in the world for large scale telescope projects and research, due to it's altitude and isolation. Mauna Kea is home to the Largest Optical telescopes in the world, and hopefully the US can keep some of that dominance for decades to come with the planned 30 meter telescope. If an 8 meter telescope can resolve an extra solar planet that far away, I can't even imagine what a 30 meter telescope will be able to see.

http://www.tmt.org/

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]well... techically... worm hole is created by black hole (by theory) so.. the suthor is not that far from the theory... just kind of incomplete...Anyway... back to the story.. while it is not a surprise it is always fun to see what is up there. While it is just like SevenVirtues said... most of these are still theory.. but well... unless it is proven wrong it may still be true... Since most likely I won't see any man kind traveling that far in my life time... it won't hurt to have some imagination and creativity on this...[/citation]

A Wormhole is a bend in space and time. a Blackhole just sucks everything up with it's powerful gravity and condenses it into a tiny spot, kinda like a garbage compactor. Sp, Black holes don't go anywhere, they just kill you.

razercultmember1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]proletarian[/nom]is it coming to get us?can we eat it?can we live on it?can we mine anything from it's crust?will any of us ever see it?if none of these questions can be answered with the word "YES" then what the fuck is the point?find me a planet to live on bastard.[/citation]

its called science -_- to go boldly where no man has gone before

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Even if we COULD implement "wormhole" technology ,and it WAS cool enough for us to land on, the gravity would probably be strong enough to crush most people. it probably has at LEAST 3-4 times earths gravity.[/citation]
I'm guessing a planet that's "eight times the mass of Jupiter" will have a lot more then 3-4 times Earths gravity, especially since Jupiter is already a lot more then that.

Status
Not open for further replies.