First Dynamic Firewall for Android Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Wow you have reflash your device with a custom build where the firewall is built in!!!!!

No app to install or uninstall, in fact if you go to their website they tell you only way to get it off your phone is reflash your original ROM.

Me thinks Ill wait until something like this is offered in app form that does not require me to flash a custom ROM.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation]It will also (optionally) record the connection history of the apps installed on the Android device[/citation]
This feature is the real winner for me. :)

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
It would be nice if they made a firewall that works on all Android phones. This is like McAfee making a new firewall that only works on dell laptops...

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Wow you have reflash your device with a custom build where the firewall is built in!!!!!No app to install or uninstall, in fact if you go to their website they tell you only way to get it off your phone is reflash your original ROM.Me thinks Ill wait until something like this is offered in app form that does not require me to flash a custom ROM.[/citation]
This firewall is basically a Service rather than an Application. So it requires your phone to have root permission to install. That means if everyone wish to use such firewall, Google would need to revamp the Android OS significantly.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]This firewall is basically a Service rather than an Application. So it requires your phone to have root permission to install. That means if everyone wish to use such firewall, Google would need to revamp the Android OS significantly.[/citation]
They would just need to include netfilter in the kernel and write a small program to allow unrooted phones to modify firewall config... and they didn't do it because people would block ads and call support after breaking firewall config... Google sucked all of the fun from linux in android.

G

Why are you "Paranoid" just because you want to install a firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.