First HTPC for XBMC

oxicottin

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
Hello, Im looking to build a HTPC for XBMC and need suggestions on the motherboard and CPU and SSD HHD. We only stream and sometimes download. We do not game no do we need a blue ray player because we only stream. Every time I look at components I go to big, I want to go cheap but best.best. Im not broke I just don't want to waste money on something I don't need. Suggestions?

oxicottin

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013

If I were to go with a g3258 what is the best Motherboard for that CPU right now?

Because0789

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014

Do you plan on overclocking?

oxicottin

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013

Not right now but I prob will later... I was looking at the board
MSI H97I AC

Because0789

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014

That is a nice board and you could fit it into a smaller case than I suggested(MiniITX vs MicroATX) but I can't find any bios updates that would allow you to overclock on that motherboard since it is H97 instead of Z97. Here is a guide to overclocking that chip on the cheap http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-b81-cheap-overclocking,3888.html . If you need wireless there are plenty of cheap PCIe wireless cards you could add.

oxicottin

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013

OK, I did some more research and this is what I am purchasing. I am going with the Asus Motherboard they unlocked this one in a bios update for this cpu up to 4.2 if I wanted to OC and that's a setting for a beginner in the bios which is good for me unless you have some disadvantages about the board? Second, I have purchased the CPU and SSD already because I found them discounted at way less that what it says... Im just woundering about the board because it wasn't on parts picker but I went into Asus website and got it that way and i want to make sure its compatible witch Im 98% sure im just second guessing myself... Next, does everything else look good B4 I purchase? and yes I went over budget but I want a nice rig. Oh one more thing should I get thermal paste or would the paste on the CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 already be sufficient, if not whats a good brand?

Thanks!

My Parts Picker List....

Because0789

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
Asus makes good boards, I had just been looking at the cheapest board you can over clock with. To be honest the H50 is kinda overkill and you could probably almost get to that over clock on air, maybe even the stock cooler. You could also wait until you over clock to get the H50. It is just a little odd to spend almost as much on the CPU cooler as the CPU but if you do the preapplied paste is quite good.

oxicottin

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013

Yes, I thought it was overboard also but cool.... :) I prob will wait though. I just ordered the motherboard I got it for $99.17 with a 15 bucks off promo... Thanks for the advise