First Microsoft Lumia Phone Launching Nov. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
It would be much better if they just adopt the Lumia branding and not add Microsoft infront. It dosent even sound good Microsoft Lumia, kind of long and too many syllables.. Nokia Lumia sounded much better.

TripleHeinz

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014
They should have kept the Nokia brand. It's a name with traditions and one that you can only associate with phones. Ex Nokia executives should buy back the company, just like Savage Arms did (not related to phones but it is a beautiful story).

Nokia or not, i won't take an upgrade on my Lumia 620 until the Lumias come in x86 flavor.

Just my opinion.

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Go MS with WP. I pray that you'll win the case with Samsung and make em pay!
Even tho I dislike you very very much in regards to gaming, but I really really love your OS and WP. So in this case, I hope you win this time! I'm tired of Samsung anyway, dead innovation, promising line up of laptop that they discontinued, same ol' same ol' design, overprice.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
It would be much better if they just adopt the Lumia branding and not add Microsoft infront. It dosent even sound good Microsoft Lumia, kind of long and too many syllables.. Nokia Lumia sounded much better.
I don't think there's much difference. Anyway, it's like anything else... you don't say "Microsoft" every time you mention the name of the device. For example... do people say Sony every time they refer to a Playstation, or say Microsoft every time before Xbox? Never mind ANY Motorola device ever made.
They should have kept the Nokia brand. It's a name with traditions and one that you can only associate with phones.

Nokia or not, i won't take an upgrade on my Lumia 620 until the Lumias come in x86 flavor.

Just my opinion.
They didn't have a choice on the name. Nokia only sold MS their smartphone business... the name was only on loan for a limited time. As for x86, why? ARM chips are more capable at a given power usage, and even if you do get a full x86 chip you're not going to be able to run legacy apps on your phone. Non-legacy apps will run on both platforms since they use the new runtimes...

Anyway I'll upgrade my phone once a new flagship comes along. Something to replace the 930/Icon.

TerryFawkes

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
MS should just stop making phones, although I have to admit that it's kind of fun watching them beat that dead horse.

Steve Wax

Estimable
Nov 8, 2014
I'm an Apple fan who got fed up with the size of the iPhone a year ago. So I bought a Lumia 1020, in part because of the huge sensor. Loved the camera -- I'm a photo nut -- and I liked the tile interface better than the iPhone home screen.

But that is about it. Apps are second rate (except for 6Tag!). And Microsoft support is beyond miserable.

I had huge problems downloading the full res photo files to a Mac. Neither Windows Phone and Nokia Phone transfer software worked, they only transferred the thumbnails. Only way I'm now able to get full images off phone is with AT&T Locker in the cloud, which doesn't allow bulk download.

When I called Microsoft (QA, community sites couldn't solve), I got a guy in Brazil who didn't know what a Windows Phone was, he transferred me to a nice woman in accounting in the US who spend some time looking, then reported there was no such thing as a Windows Phone Help Desk.

Wow. I now have an iPhone 6, but kept my Nokia 1020 (cost me $250 to do so!) as I love the images and they are much more detailed than Apple's. Otherwise, meh.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I love the Windows Phones. I particularly love the operating system. It also doesn't hurt that every single Windows Phone was not too shabby in the hardware department and price.
Honestly, it pains me to see it do so poorly despite how great of an operating system and user experience it offers. Programs are very easy to develop for it. It manages hardware efficiently and effectively. It makes the task of utilizing a device seamless and easy.
There once was a time when Apple and IBM ruled the computing world, but Microsoft changed that over a decade with quality software. If Microsoft goes back to its roots, then I am sure this OS will be just as much a success as Windows has been.
I am a little worried whenever Microsoft develops hardware. They never have developed quality hardware before. In the back of my head I am thinking they will manufacture these in China as a low cost solution and quality will suffer. Nokia puts together good hardware like the 41 MP camera. The plastic on my Lumia also doesn't feel cheap. Its pretty amazing and something I feel we will not see from Microsoft.

mikeebb

Honorable
Nov 2, 2014
The rebranding already happened for my Win 8.1 phone. As of last Tuesday's updates (1st Tuesday is patch Tuesday for phones?) all the "Nokia..." apps are now "Lumia..." apps (except for some reason "Glam Me" - how do I get rid of that one?). The only "Nokia" left otherwise is the first screen that shows when doing a cold restart (shut off completely, then turn on again) and, of course, the name burned into the plastic case. Note the branding, though: "Lumia" not "Microsoft".

mikeebb

Honorable
Nov 2, 2014
The rebranding already happened for my Win 8.1 phone. As of last Tuesday's updates (1st Tuesday is patch Tuesday for phones?) all the "Nokia..." apps are now "Lumia..." apps (except for some reason "Glam Me" - how do I get rid of that one?). The only "Nokia" left otherwise is the first screen that shows when doing a cold restart (shut off completely, then turn on again) and, of course, the name burned into the plastic case. Note the branding, though: "Lumia" not "Microsoft".

shogunofharlom

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
I also want an x86 intel phone from Microsoft. I just bought an x86 intel 10inch Windows tablet and it is a really amazing device. Imagine having access to x86 software and devices on your phone. It would be a game changer in the phone market.

TripleHeinz

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014
As for x86, why? ARM chips are more capable at a given power usage, and even if you do get a full x86 chip you're not going to be able to run legacy apps on your phone. Non-legacy apps will run on both platforms since they use the new runtimes...

I'm a programmer and it'll be heaven in a phone to be able to run my programs in a pocket device. x86 will give me language and compiler support wich is missing in ARM.

Status
Not open for further replies.