First smartphone for parent

lxgoldsmith

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
My dad is getting a new phone tonight, and I want to convince him to catch up with the times.

he doesn't want a smartphone because "No buttons to bump", "too big for a belt clip", "no turning on when I bump the screen" and other ridiculous nonsense.

I want to be able to communicate with him via smartphone (as does his wife, my mom) because it's easier, faster, and all around better, so his flip-phone preference must be broken.

Which one should I advertize to him at the att store? (att has best coverage here)

Most likely GS4 for the temporary easy mode, so what case is the best, most non-intrusive belt-clip case?

1hr max

Solution
I am a huge android guy and I have a android myself but for your dad I would actually recommend iphone since iphones are much easier to use and navigate. Plus iphones are not too big. Its funny though im recommending iphone to someone when i freaking hate iphones :)

d4v0

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I am a huge android guy and I have a android myself but for your dad I would actually recommend iphone since iphones are much easier to use and navigate. Plus iphones are not too big. Its funny though im recommending iphone to someone when i freaking hate iphones :)

Solution

lxgoldsmith

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

but they're also very restrictive. Lacking NFC or the extra features(hover view, smart stay, smart pause etc.) I love in mine are lacking in the iphone. He comes up with this type of stuff all the time, and if I tell him another phone (my phone) already does that, he'd regret the decision.

"why can't they use the camera to tell whether I'm looking at my phone or not ... facial recognition ... add storage because I ran out, get a bigger card ... make the battery replaceable ... wireless charging ... since it all exists already" I don't want to recommend a phone I believe is truly inferior for his level of use.

... so I guess I know now what I want to show him first (ironically showed myself), but after that, do the other lastest galaxy models such as the zoom have the same features, or is it just the s, note, and mega.

lxgoldsmith

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
I just had to show him the belt clips apparently. He didn't want an iphone because my mom has one and he dislikes it. He got a standard gs4 and otterbox case. I'll show him how to use it. Nfc works with the case.

d4v0

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Motorola Photon Q, Motorola Droid 4, MyTouch 4G Slide, Blackberry Q10, LG Mach, etc... I'm sure there are more just can't remember all the names