First time laptop buyer looking for a cheap, reliable laptop

hannahharris597

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
1. What is your budget? $500 2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14-16" 3. What screen resolution do you want? I don't care, as long as I can see videos good. 4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable. 5. How much battery life do you need? I don't know. 4 hours? 6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Just very simple games. 7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) I would like to edit some photos. 8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I like to store a lot of files. 9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I don't know. Amazon? 10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Until it dies. A long time. 11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD. Bluray would be cool, but not necessary. 12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I don't really have any preferences. 13. What country do you live in? USA. 14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I am not very computer savvy. I need something that won't have a lot of problems that I will get all frustrated trying to fix. I would like touchscreen. Also, I would like a 10-number keyboard, if possible. How quickly do local accredited technicians fix laptops? I don't know. I have never had a laptop before. Thank you so much.

Solution

hannahharris597

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
That's kinda cool. Will it accidently come apart?
I don't know about the outside disk drive though. My sister has one like that and to me it seems like a hassle. Also, would I have to upgrade anything and how hard would it be?

Mar 30, 2015
Unless the build quality is extraordinarily low it shouldn't come apart. It ought to be fine. As for external stuff, an external optical drive shouldn't be much trouble unless you intend to use Blu-Rays on the go. As for storage, 256GB is enough for a comfortable Windows installation with a moderate number of photos and video, certainly enough for whatever your current project would be. I'm saying that you would need an external HDD or NAS to store large numbers or collections of photos or video.

The issue with that used Acer is that Acer is not a very high reliability brand to begin with, and you are getting a used one at that.

This may be good, not touchscreen but has a full keyboard with num pad http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/e-series/e560/?menu-id=thinkpad_e560

For touchscreen this is good http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/flex-series/flex-4-15/?menu-id=lenovo_flex_4_15 or http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/flex-series/flex-4-14/?menu-id=lenovo_flex_4_14

Solution