Fleetwood Floor Stereo Repair help

Boodoughandyou

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
I have an older record player, 8-track radio floor model. After ten minutes an electric pop happens often but not regularly - the sound is louder than the music and happens on the phone, tuner, and tape settings. I have opened up the back are realized I have no idea what I am doing. Anyone know where this stereo pop is coming from (unit is circa 1979)

Solution
Hi
If you are not operating any of the controls when it happens then to me it sounds like a capacitor discharging and given the age of the unit I think that is a good bet.
Check any large capacitors you can see for discolouration or leakage.

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Many old audio equipment suffer from wear and tear, oxidation and dirt accumulated at its potentiometers (volume and tone controls, etc.) and various switches and relays (input selector, tone bypass, etc).

If you get noises especially when you use those controls this is the problem. Usually contact cleaner spray is used to give new life to those controls. But some switches are completely closed and there is not much of a chance of applying contact cleaner. And if contact cleaner gets into critical rf circuits of the tuner it will seriously get out of alignment and stop working.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
If you are not operating any of the controls when it happens then to me it sounds like a capacitor discharging and given the age of the unit I think that is a good bet.
Check any large capacitors you can see for discolouration or leakage.

Solution

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013

in addition,check for domed tops on the caps.