FLIP Ship Goes Vertical in Water, But Not to Sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
yeah, wtf. i'd think the utility of this vessel would be traveling to said site and then going vertical, whats the point of towing it when you could just tow a platform?

to me its like saying you have a flying car that needs towed in order to get off the ground. just cause it has wheels doesnt mean its a flying car.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Sooo, it's just a tow-able platform then? Not much of a ship at all.[/citation]Took the words right out of my mouth.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]adikos[/nom]yeah, wtf. i'd think the utility of this vessel would be traveling to said site and then going vertical, whats the point of towing it when you could just tow a platform?[/citation]
Drag.

Also, where's the news...? This thing has been around for years. The main use is for very accurate sonar and such. By going vertical, waves/swells push it around much less, allowing for much more accurate scans and such.

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
no offence but this is completely useless news for a tech website... nothing new and its not even that interesting, as its BEEN AROUND FOR ~ 50yrs lol :p

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]It must be a really slow news day for this to make it to Tom's. Time Warp - News from 50 years ago today![/citation]

Welcome to the Twilight zone. Ware yesterday news is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.