Fly an rc drone with a phone (2.4ghz to phone)

Robalek100

Estimable
Oct 11, 2014
For christmas, i got my kid an rc quadrotor, no not the ar parrot, but a small one "Aerocraft mini camera", the point is that it is possible to modify it so that i can control it with my phone instead of the radio controller it came with? also, is it possible to have the live camera feed off it as well?

Solution
Highly likely, no. The encoding and frequency assignment used by these toys is usually very different to that used by WiFi. Ive been flying model aircraft for years and what your asking is not easy if not part of the original design. The cost could be more than buying another. FYI phones, tablets etc make awful controllers hence why anything above 'toy' status uses a proper proportional transmitter. Also WiFi has a tiny range in comparison.

Also remember flying a drone out of line of sight is illegal in many countries (I'm UK based and its illegal here) so adding a camera and live feed does not mean you can fly the drone off all over the place out of sight flying by the video feed. If your really interested in these thing and are UK...

sizzling

Distinguished
Highly likely, no. The encoding and frequency assignment used by these toys is usually very different to that used by WiFi. Ive been flying model aircraft for years and what your asking is not easy if not part of the original design. The cost could be more than buying another. FYI phones, tablets etc make awful controllers hence why anything above 'toy' status uses a proper proportional transmitter. Also WiFi has a tiny range in comparison.

Also remember flying a drone out of line of sight is illegal in many countries (I'm UK based and its illegal here) so adding a camera and live feed does not mean you can fly the drone off all over the place out of sight flying by the video feed. If your really interested in these thing and are UK based have a look at the BMFA website, good starting point.

Solution

Robalek100

Estimable
Oct 11, 2014
haha, i wanted to use it as an UAV in my airsoft battles, i get what youre saying though, im better off with a ar parrot then, anyway thanks for the law tips.