Followed all rules and still didn't get unlock code...need help.

jtl001

Estimable
Sep 29, 2014
Hello, I followed all the rules for my carrier (t-mobile), paid phone in full, bill in full, had service for 40+ days of active service and I have all the paperwork to prove it. After going in circles they finally sent me a email saying they are "unsuccessful in obtaining an unlock code for the given IMEI” after taking picture to prove that the IMEI is the correct one for the phone.

I contacted my bank (USAA) and told them what happened and they said if I could prove it, I had a valid claim. I sent them all the phone records, and emails. Emails was where most of the clear proof was because of messages from t-mobile verifying I had done my part.

The bank tried to contact t-mobile and gave them 60 days to respond and they refused to respond to my bank. So the bank reversed the charges for the phone. Then t-mobile without hesitation sent a letter to Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian saying I didn’t pay my bill and creating a bill for the phone and sent it to collections. I’m still working on how to get legal help.
But in the meantime, I have a company taking advantage of their power and unjustifiably ruing my credit while I have a phone I can’t use for anything but a paper weight.
So can someone help me unlock this my phone? I can provide all the proof I provided the bank for verification that I did everything I was suppose to do: purchased phone/paid if full, paid all phone bill and had uninterupted service for over 40 days, and made multiple attempts with t-mobile to get the phone unlocked just to have them tell me in the end....sorry we can’t find your unlock code.

Side note: Before it got to this point, I actually tried to cancel the service and return the phone 28 days after signing up for service. They said they would only refund the phone after I think 15 or 20 days. But I had been working with their tech support troubleshooting the phone and swapping sim cards to figure out why I didn’t have service anywhere in my neighborhood during that time. It had been less than 2 weeks since the last sim swap while trying to work with them. All they were doing was buying time so I could not return a phone I paid $500+ for at the time.
I got another piece of information from another forum that was a little late. Some customers of t-mobile that were aware of the problem t-mobile and other carriers were giving customers with unlocking their phone found the easiest way to get the unlock code was to tell the carrier they were going to use the phone overseas. Then the carrier wouldn’t think they were trying to switch to another service. Once they verified the customer met all the other requirements, they gave them the code and then they switched carriers.
But that information came to me too late. Plus, since I did everything I was supposed to do, why should I have to lie? Especially when people who know how to unlock phones are hesitant to do it. But carriers are still taking advantage of customers.

jtl001

Estimable
Sep 29, 2014

The board rules also state the reason why, and I have proof that I legally purchased the phone, I have a copy of the t-mobile agreement which states that I need uninterrupted service for 40 or more days before eligible for unlock, and as far as the rights agreement between the user and the carrier, the carrier indirectly violated their own agreement by pretending they could not find the unlock code after I followed all the rules requested to receive the unlock code. That is why USAA reversed the charges after getting all the verification and giving t-mobile a opportunity to respond.

So t-mobile took the path of least resistance. Instead of battling it out legally over the "terms of service" with my bank, they just defrauded my credit and left me to fight to get it fixed which has become a bigger financial problem than the cost of the phone.

So the request was with the "rules" in mind. Which is why I included in the post that I can provide all legal evidence that the phone was legally purchased, the carrier breached their own agreement, and I've done everything I know possible to correct the problem.

Another reference to the rules: you can verify ownership along with email communication's with t-mobile through full header/footer copies of emails which is what the bank did. And the bank statements from the bank as well as t-mobile in store purchase receipt verify purchase.

I don't see why you post as if you cannot understand why I am even reaching out to online communities after reading my original post.

Pretty obvious from my first post that has been done by myself and USAA Federal Saving Bank with no progress

Even if you do have all the documentation, nobody here is in any position to verify their authenticity, and we wouldn't be able to do anything with it even if we could. I feel for you, because it really sucks what they're doing to you, but please understand that nobody here will take on the legal liability of unlocking your phone because that's what this is right now--a legal battle between you and T-Mobile, and any intervention on our part puts us right in the middle.

I think you'd win if you took this to court, but obviously I'm not a lawyer and I understand that legal proceedings can be lengthy and the effort and costs can be more than the issue is worth. I do wish you all the best, though.