Force laptop to run at full performance w/out recognizing AC

bikuboy

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hello friends,

I am a college student, and let me start off by saying that I am a dumbass.

I own a Dell Inspiron N5110.

Long story short, we had a typical "collegiate social gathering" at my house. You know, the one with alcoholic beverages, music, dancing, and similar devious behavior. I was quite bone-headed enough to bring a couple red cups full of delicious "mixed beverages" to my room and place them very close to my laptop. My highly inebriated state caused some of the liquid to spill onto my laptop keyboard.

Gah. I'm such a dumbass.

Aside from sticky keys and whatnot, everything seems to be in working order....EXCEPT for the fact that my Dell laptop is no longer capable of recognizing my AC adapter. There's something wrong on the inside of the computer, because this same adapter charges other laptops just fine. The battery itself is also capable of charging just fine.

Solution? Either I have Dell "replace the motherboard" (which I'm certain will cost a fortune), or I purchase an external battery charger to charge my battery overnight. I have opted for the latter.

Since my laptop can no longer recognize the wattage of the AC adapter, it runs at a slower performance whenever it is plugged in. Whenever the laptop runs on the battery alone, system performance is extremely fast.

This is problematic, because it would be nice to have a laptop running at full speed while it is plugged in. I know it can't charge the battery directly anymore...but I can get over that.

My question is, can I somehow get my laptop to run at full performance whenever the AC adapter is plugged in?

Any help on remedying the results of my stupidity would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bikuboy

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for advice Brett...I guess my mistake has cost me. :/

Let's say that hypothetically you were to repair my laptop, how much would you charge? (I don't plan to take my laptop to a repair company...just curious.)

Hi:)

As it probably needs a new motherboard, plus a keyboard plus other things...the honest answer is several HUNDRED pounds...

All the best Brett :)