Solved! Laptop switches bewteen AC and battery when at ~87%

Nov 25, 2021
Hey there, I hope that everyone's doing fine :)

So I got an issue since yesterday, I'm using an Acer Predator Helios G3-572 (Windows 10).
Since yesterday, my laptop is constantly switching between charging with AC and using battery when my battery is charged at ~87%.
Before the 87%, the battery is charging normally when it is plugged in.

But after that, it will stay in "charging mode" for about 1 or 2 minutes before switching to battery mode for about 10 seconds and then switch back to "charging mode".
I don't know what causes that since I did not had this problem before yesterday.

I did try some solution like :
  • Unplug AC -> Turn off laptop -> Wait to cool down -> Remove Battery -> Plug AC -> Start Laptop -> Device Manager -> Uninstall all the things in "battery" -> Turn off -> Put back Battery -> Turn On Laptop
  • Unplug AC -> Turn off laptop -> Remove battery -> Press and hold power button for 20 seconds -> Restart Laptop
  • Put by default all the option in "power option"
  • Restore to a date before I had this issue
  • Look into BIOS but since I use an ACER, there was no option for battery (at least I did not find)
  • Use Acer Care Center to see if there was anything
I don't know where the issue comes from, the battery seems to be working fine since there is no problem when charging it from 40% to 87% (by the way, the issue started when the battery was at 91% but it decreased to 87% by the time as I was trying to fix it)

Could I have some help please ^^'

(Here is the battery report I did : )

Solution
One way to lengthen the life of a lithium-ion battery is to not charge it fully by stopping at around 80%. Some laptop models offer that choice.I know on my wife's Lenovo machine, it stops charging at 80%, but does not switch back and forth. You might make sure there is not such a setting on your machine. I recall it was hard to find on the Lenovo and I recall having to use their support app to get to it.
One way to lengthen the life of a lithium-ion battery is to not charge it fully by stopping at around 80%. Some laptop models offer that choice.I know on my wife's Lenovo machine, it stops charging at 80%, but does not switch back and forth. You might make sure there is not such a setting on your machine. I recall it was hard to find on the Lenovo and I recall having to use their support app to get to it.

Reactions: KyenZax
Solution
Nov 25, 2021
Thank you for your answer !
I thought it was something like that but did not find :/

So I changed the battery in my laptop with a new one and now it seems to be working just fine !
It does makes that my old battery was dying since I've been using this laptop for 4 and 1/2 years ^^.

Thanks again for you answer and your help !
Hope you will have a nice day :)