Ford Developing Laser Ignition System

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Who, besides perhaps police, need to be able to go that fast? You are being sold a big bill of "bling" with this marketing crap.[citation] They also have a Hydrogen based Focus being tested around the world too.Ford also has the most efficient Hybrid mid sized sedan that also beats some compact Hybrids by pushing out a awesome 41MPG and 700 miles to the tank in city. Yes, the Fusion Hybrid.[/citation]Just where do you get these figures? People who care can get the real facts at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm I assume you must have unintentionally made a type.[citation]Also almost every engine Ford has is now Flex Fuel capable meaning it can have up to 85% Ethonal and 15% gas or any combination of the two.[/citation]Even respected scientists now recognize that it takes significantly more energy to grow corn and turn it into ethanol than it does to just burn gasoline. Effectively, it is significantly more polluting than burning gas. Efficiency, remember? "Flex fuel" is more marketing crap that is meant to make you feel good and that it sounds like you have been sold on. "Hey, my car can burn flex fuel so it must be good." Well, my `94 Acura Integra that I no longer own could burn pure ethanol. There was one big problem, though. Unless I wanted to have a still and make my own ethanol, there were absolutely no sources for ethanol.[citation]Yes gas is the past but remmeber that it will also take more than a few years to get people completely off of it so why not create something that will make it more efficient when burning? If this can do that while taking less power yet burning the gas more efficiently and getting a better fuel to air ratio it will increase the MPG as well and thats not a bad thing for now.But still, its sad to see how little people know about the US auto makers. They have a lot of good cars and as well have a lot of prototypes and in testing cars.Oh and btw, yes we will get a Fiesta. It will have a different name thoughhttp://www.fordvehicles.com/2011fi [...] |210910854NEEDS MORE RESEARCH!!!![/citation]I suspect that it is more likely that you work for Ford's PR department and are attempting to control the fire with this post especially since you are quoting double the actual MPG figures for the Fusion lobryd.[/citation]

You want to talk the figures I posted? Lets see. I said "41MPG and up to 700 mile to the tank in the city.

Lets see what that link you posted states about the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/792/fusionmpg.jpg

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
whew, i was impressed on how it works and never looked at the science, it was a hoax.
basically, the power output of the pulse plug is never greater than that of a spark plug since they're using the same source.

anyways, i have respect for Ford than GM or Chrysler. will wait and see if they can actually use the laser tech.

[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]What about the Pulse plug from Pulstar? That was out years ago.[/citation]

homerjay

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmeh0rny[/nom]hillary: According to who? Fox news? OPEC says we have 30 years of oil left.Jimmy: Ford has a long history of being all talk and hype, "plans" of fantastic vehicles don't mean anything, when it comes to Ford, if you can't test drive at the dealership, it didn't happen...[/citation]

So you quote the group that has a near monopoly on oil for supply figures? Yeah they have no reason to lowball supply numbers. As for the actual supply of crude oil it is irrelevant. As supply dwindles price increases necessarily force consumers to purchase substitute goods (ethanol, hydrogen, electric, etc). True free markets are predictable. It’s only when actors with the ability to skew supply (governments, monopolies) are allowed to participate that inefficiency occurs in the market over the long term.

Incidentally which automaker isn’t under the thumb of the government and is providing real innovation in the market where there is consumer demand? I can’t wait to have a car with fricken laser beams.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Oh Yes, My mistake. I should look farther than my nose.

Still, who needs a 207MPH hot rod?

Sorry, guys. Yes, I do have a bias because most US automakers only care about one thing. Money. They have been that way for years. Do a search of history and see how they have fought things like seat belts and air bags, then have been hypocritical and marketed these things after they were forced to put them in their cars.

I have a bit of knowledge in the laser world, but disagree that this is the way to go. In the long run, the laser ignition system would likely be more reliable than any developed so far. However, they are still burning gas.

Other "advancements" like using carbon fiber for most of the body parts could easily bring MPG figures in excess of that of the Fusion Hybrid or other hybrids with little changes to existing ICE technology. Hummers, if built primarily out of carbon fiber could easily exceed the MPG figures of virtually any car out there. But will Ford or any car manufacturer out there do something meaningful like significantly reduce the weight of their vehicles by using carbon fiber as the main structural component? NO! Why? It costs too much! That is a pattern of behavior that US auto makers have exhibited for many, many, many years and until they demonstrate a different pattern, repeatedly, I am not buying their bling.

Status
Not open for further replies.