Question Forerunner 645 or Galaxy watch active 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2020
I am looking between these two watches and am torn. I want a watch that I can run with and has music storage and a heart rate monitor. I am not a work out junkie or anything but was leaning towards the Garmin. I am wondering how much the Garmin is like a smartwatch vs just a fitness tracker. Or what peoples main uses for a smart watch is and why a good tracker isn't the better option.

T2Jock

Great
Jan 15, 2020
I can't tell you anything about the watches you're looking at. But the prime reason to buy a smart watch or a smart phone is because it's not a single use device. They are both general purpose computers that can be programmed to do anything - within the limitations of their display. My Apple Watch can do everything you're asking for and much more. Including things that I had no idea I was going to want it to do, but now find indispensable.

Apr 25, 2020
I can't tell you anything about the watches you're looking at. But the prime reason to buy a smart watch or a smart phone is because it's not a single use device. They are both general purpose computers that can be programmed to do anything - within the limitations of their display. My Apple Watch can do everything you're asking for and much more. Including things that I had no idea I was going to want it to do, but now find indispensable.

Yeah I don't have a smartwatch and am just wondering what people that have them really use them for. I want to see what people generally use them for as well. I found a good deal on the Fossil men's sport but a lot of the reviews and such said it was really slow to open apps. My main drawback for a smartwatch was simply that it only lasts about a day on a charge, which is why I like that the Garmin will last 4-7 days on a charge.

Reactions: philb69

T2Jock

Great
Jan 15, 2020
About an hour ago I went to take a shower and took off my Watch. The battery was showing that it was down to 82% from when I charged it yesterday. I know I shouldn't but I generally charge the thing while I'm showering, which puts it back at 100%. I know it's waterproof down to something like 15 feet, But the band (metal) started to bleach out after a year or so of immersion. I almost never took my first watch off, it went in the swimming pool, the hot tub and the ocean. I don't think I can get more than two to two and a half days on a charge, but that's plenty.

What do I use it for? Weather and outside temp, stock ticker, music, phone calls, Health info tracking, texting, sleep analysis, workouts, Golf GPS, letting me know when the wife has finished the grocery shopping and is headed home. And more.

ashleydent

Commendable
Apr 23, 2020
Garmin Vivoactive 4 has built-in GPS, music storage, full waterproofing, and even NFC for mobile payments with Garmin Pay. It can track your every move. It gives usual heart-rate monitoring with activity and sleep tracking. It is good for energy monitoring, and 20+ preloaded sports apps and plus Ox sensor helps in monitoring blood oxygen and saturation levels. Built in GPS is a good thing as it will map the outdoor runs. For swimming it can go till 50 meters. You get 8 days battery life but it is a little expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: philb69
Status
Not open for further replies.