Forget Facebook: Sign Into Sites and Apps via Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priox

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Oh now this is the thing I've been waiting for.
I hate social media, and have been forced to avoid sites that require FB login because of it.
But who doesn't use Amazon?

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Wow this is awesome. I've always really hated creating new accounts for every site that I want to shop at. I hope this picks up. I've never used FB login and I don't think I ever will.

XngXtuHl

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
That actually bad thing, in Amazon you have credit card number stored.
I have not active FB account with fake name just for sign into sites

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
This is a terrifyingly horrific idea. Amazon, a shopping site that stores your credit card info should NOT encourage people to randomly enter their login information in several random places that are not Amazon. This will lead to massive amounts of credit card fraud.

GIJoeMyGoodness

Honorable
May 21, 2013
Everyone is acting like Amazon won't put any protocols in place to isolate credit card information with a password API. These guys aren't that naive and if we as a reader pointed it out after only several posts I'm sure someone at Amazon thought to address this as well. Let's see how they implement this first. And for the post - I'd rather use Amazon over Facebook for anything.

immanuel_aj

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
But I've never liked signing in to sites using anything other than an ID and password I myself give to that site. I just chuck the details into lastpass and let it worry about remembering my username and password.
If one of those non-Amazon sites has its database compromised, how much information of yours from Amazon gets stolen?

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Someone said "But who doesn't use Amazon." earlier.
The answer, I don't. I'm not going to go into why, but I refuse to use Amazon unless there is absolutely zero alternative (extremely rare).
So no, I'd rather use my facebook login if I had to, but then again, I don't connect my facebook with other stuff either.
Move it along Amazon, you're not wanted here. I know not everyone feels that way, but thats my 2 cents.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I thought Amazon credential/log-in was already being used by many places? I guess I was wrong.
Regardless, to answer the question, Amazon.
Amazon provides me a service I enjoy using, so I don't mind them having my info. Facebook pushes dumb game advertisements in my face, or tells me I should buy a friend a starbucks gift card.
People might view it as the lesser of two evils, but I think Amazon is generally one of the more-ethical companies of our time, and I like to think that their ethical behavior extends to the handling of user data. I like to think that...

geekitty

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Over Facebook? Amazon. Any day. Although truth is I'd use just about anything over Facebook, so that's not saying much. But I'd even use Amazon over Google. If my Amazon account gets compromised, worst case scenario is CC fraud/$$ hassle. But my Google account? That's the stuff of ID theft nightmares!

Status
Not open for further replies.