News Forget the iPhone SE: The Pixel 3a just dropped to $249

ralphwiggum1

Estimable
Jul 19, 2016
Uhh, what? Pixel 3a, last year's mid-range phone with mid-range components to match that needs hoops to be jumped through to get a slightly discounted price... versus iPhone SE 4.7, the entry-level model which matches the high end specs of the expensive models and has a CPU that bests the top of the line available to Android at a very reasonable price and will get 5 years of support...and people should go out and get the 3a which will be out of updates a year from now?

Reactions: RobTheComputerGuy
Apr 25, 2020
I agree with @ralphwiggum1 - but I'd take it up a notch. The iPhone SE 2020 is as fast as both iPhone 11 models. In a single core test, it was faster than both iPhone 11 models.

Anyone - and I mean this seriously - who thinks a Snapdragon 6xx processor is usable would be dead wrong. I've used phones from 3 different manufacturers with 6xx processors and they seem to have some pep during the initial few weeks, but when the device hits the RAM limit or starts to fill up storage, the device starts hanging regularly. Sometimes the hanging just won't go away.

A Snapdragon 4xx processor is only barely slower than a 6xx.

Snapdragon 8xx processors seem to have no trouble, ever, and I don't know why we're allowing phone manufacturers to push us to buying new phones on a cycle that is far in excess of what's necessary. A phone with an 8xx processor from 3 years ago was still so fast that it was unjustified for the mfr. to stop giving out Android updates.

And Google's Pixel phones have a shockingly poor track record as of late that is far in excess of any other Android mfr.

The idea that the latest chip from Apple (which would put it in the league of a Snapdragon 8xx) should be compared to a Snapdragon 6xx processor from last year sounds to me like someone's making a blog post so they can drum up some affiliate sales, and nothing to do with any kind of honest assessment of the two products.

Nobody interested in an iPhone SE 2020 should think that a Pixel 3a is a comparable product in any way and I hope you edit these rabid posts to get that straightened out for your readers.