Solved! Forgot password in the middle of OS update

Jan 12, 2019
Hello!
I forgot my password for my Acer Aspire R3 n15w5 and before the new windows 10 update finished, it needed me to log in. I couldn't,because I didn't write my password down. Big mistake.
I got into the blue screen to do a factory reset, but it doesn't have enough space on the 32Gb drive to do it, so I can't do that. I've downloaded a Linux OS iso onto my external hard drive, but I couldn't do anything with that either. I opened up the back of the laptop, thinking I can take out the hard drive and format it from another laptop. I was wrong thinking it had a hard drive.
So I'm stuck with a laptop which I can't log into and can't use.
Is there anybody who can help me please?
Thanks
David

Solution
you can always reinstall windows 10 on it, you will just lose any info that was on it before

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

write down password this time.
Jan 12, 2019
Thanks for the reply
I bought it from an online shop second hand and even got a £19.99 accidental cover for it, but they say forgetting my password doesn't qualify as an accident. Which is fair enough.
I haven't linked my password anywhere. I remember the old password, but that doesn't help either. I have all the proof that it is a genuine laptop, not stolen, but there is literally nobody who can help.
It only costed £150 but I just don't want to throw it away.
Do you think if I list it on eBay I could sell it legally?

Colif

Distinguished
you can always reinstall windows 10 on it, you will just lose any info that was on it before

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

write down password this time.

Solution