Forkless Bicycles Lacks a Gadget or Two

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
The question is, what kind of gadgets or tech would make the forkless bike the perfect geek ride?

Crotch protection so we can still have kids should we wreck our bicycle.

Replace said protection with an impaler and a motor for lazy/impatient a-holes who refuse to exercise but like to drive recklessly and put others in danger, so that when they wreck they cannot reproduce.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]jingles98[/nom]BAHAHAHA the guy that invented this has 2 problems. 1: Too much acid2: Still reading Dr Seuss....[/citation]

Some of the greatest art has come into existence when the artist was straight trippin' boo. However, I'm not sure that this is great art.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]S Jones[/nom]As above, brakes can be inserted into the hub and controlled by a slightly backward pedal. A great way to hide the cables. I notice no gears either, the designer went a long way to style, but not enough on function. I'm sure the safety is fine but without gears and standard brakes, it's a moving sculpture rather than a functional tool. I think it looks lovely though[/citation]"Gears" can also be incorporated into the rear hub as well as the bottom bracket. This type of shifting is becoming more and more popular and reliable.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I actually think that its really cool. Sure not practical at all, but there are tons of bikes out there that are mostly for show. There's an entire culture where I live of custom low-riders and mods. I can just imagine the double-takes seeing this riding along. Oh and the brakes could be the kind on kids bikes, or it could have no breaks and use a fixed gear instead.

Other people might not like these random bike articles and they really have very little to do with technology, but I'm an avid cyclist (just bought a $4000 road bike) so I appreciate them.

Scotteq

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Google 'Bimota Tesi' for a motorcycle version of the same.

Not sure what advantage there is at bycycle speeds, but on a motorcycle: Standard forks compress under braking, which changes (shortens) the angle of the steering head and changes (quickens) handling characteristics. This is an inherent part of the design. With a forkless setup, the tendency for the front end to dive may be tuned... from pro-dive, through neutral, and even anti-Dive (front end stands up under braking).

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Seriously, the only people that should ride this are Johnny Depp and Tim Burton. They're "artsy" like that ...nah, just wierd ...

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]This is an iBike, and it's not a structural flaw, it's a feature.[/citation]

It'll revolutionize the way you bike. :p

G

You still have to step over the high frame to sit on the bike. The one thing that people don't like about bike frames and you didn't address it. Fail.

G

Yeah, as people have said, this isn't going to replace a racing bike or a mountain bike-- it's a cruiser. It's just to look cool and interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have any brakes like a fixie, but you'd be going a whole heckuv a lot slower. My brother makes cruisers in his spare time and they are not fast, brakes really are not that crucial because the bikes are heavy, kind of odd to ride, and, hey, you want people to look. His use coaster brakes, btw, but this bike doesn't look like it ever has coasters. Probably fixie style.

Status
Not open for further replies.