Forkless Bicycles Lacks a Gadget or Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Looks like 1 crash and you have to buy another...
Cool as it is, I do value usability. This thing couldn't handle anything more than pavement.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]kalogagatya[/nom]i foresee structural failure coming in 3... 2... 1...cool design though[/citation]

This is an iBike, and it's not a structural flaw, it's a feature.

G

I don't see any sort of brakes on the front wheel - most of the braking force on a bike comes from the front wheel, so I would expect that it would have poor braking characteristics. Also, the weight of the bike is going to be noticably heavier than a normal bike.

aje21

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]slapXslap[/nom]I don't see any sort of brakes on the front wheel[/citation]
I don't see any brakes on the rear either! Hopefully you can slow the bike down using the pedals...

G

As above, brakes can be inserted into the hub and controlled by a slightly backward pedal. A great way to hide the cables. I notice no gears either, the designer went a long way to style, but not enough on function. I'm sure the safety is fine but without gears and standard brakes, it's a moving sculpture rather than a functional tool. I think it looks lovely though :)

kalogagatya

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]This is an iBike, and it's not a structural flaw, it's a feature.[/citation]

lol yeah and someday it is going to colapse, but that is still a feature!!

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Main question: Why?[/citation]
It was for a design competition. Not for sale. Obviously a lot will have to be improved before selling it commercially. But it's a good start of an idea.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
The long tube that replaces the fork could possibly act as a suspension, since it's so long and unsupported, it will definatly flex with bumps.

Bad idea for a bike tho.

G

It is a great idea if you are a shallow person in need of attention from strangers.

It is a terrible idea if you want to use it to ride. Heavy, poor cornering, and as stiff as a lasagna noodle.

Status
Not open for further replies.