Forum/Portal creation question.

XSportSeeker

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Didn't know exactly were to post this, but anyways, here it goes:

I'm searching for a good portal/forum/blog/flog/picture album manager/news manager.
'till last month, I had a phpBB based forum... it was outdated, and someone hacked it. So I decided to drop the whole thing, and start all over again.

Now, I want to build a more complete solution, with space for storing pictures, movies, flash movies, profiles. That can be used as a forum, with individual blog spaces, plus news and such.

It'd be better if it is a free, open source solution. But if there are considerate advantages on paying for other solutions, I'd like to know them too.

So far, I know only two options:

- phpBB with some mods and Coopermine Photo Album solution.
- Invision Power Board
- vBulletin (paid) - don't know if it has options for Photo Album, Blogs and news.

I'd like to know what software Deviant Art uses (www.deviantart.com) because that's exactly what I'm trying to acomplish...

Share your thoughts with me please! :D

[]'s

unreal_nl

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
DA is a very big known old (6years almost) site... and have there own custom made software :)

I think vbulletin and phpbb and ipb have there own mod community... With vb there are some pretty impressive Portal/photo/flash album.. profile bloq etc.. download systems.

Its just the licence but its worth the payment ;) too bad my site is down or i could show you some possibilities with vb and ipb ;)

XSportSeeker

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
:D

Yeah, I know vBulletin from this forum: http://www.animehorizons.com
But they don't use photo gallery... didn't knew vBulletin had one.
Tested the admin mode on their website.. its really clean, neat and easy to use. Far more organized than using phpBB plus mods.

Anyways, thanks for the info! I'll make some more research... 'cuz 160U$ is no pocket money... but I think it's worth it. :D

[]'s

rOgErHeLpMe

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Hey i'm new in this forum and i just wanted to know if anyone could tell me about a burning cd software which burns official video CDs from the store (with that "protection")

Thank you

XSportSeeker

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Roger - it's best if you open a New Topic on this forum to ask your question, since it's a new subject. Put a clear title, and the answers will come (ooohh)
I don't deal much with video cds, but Nero 7.0 is filled with video copying/editing stuff. It even comes with software to create menu on DVDs...
Anyways, you might try searching something on http://www.digital-digest.com ... they have lots of info on VCD and other video/burning software.

XSportSeeker

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
unreal_nl - !!! o_O Coincidence or not, my previous forum also had a picture of blue sky with clouds on top. :p
Anyways, I also found out that the PHP Photo Gallery project I was looking into (Coppermine), also supports vBulletin, and it's free! :D

Anyways, thanks for helping out! I'm starting to get the stuff for installing the forum on my computer (Apache, mySQL...). Gotta start moving my lazy ass. XD Already done it once, but it cost me almost 3 months.... too many phpBB MODs to install.