Question Fossil Carlyle HR ticking sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2019
Hi,

Just picked up the Carlyle HR Gen 5 watch from fossil and have a very annoying ticking (2 ticks actually) coming from the watch while in ambient mode. The ticks happen randomly and when the minute changes. It also happens when I touch the screen to turn it back on. I have turned off the speaker and reset the watch and it still happens. It's pretty annoying once you hear it you never stop hearing it. Other than that I do like the watch so far. Was wondering if anyone else has it and are hearing the same random ticks while in ambient. I reached out to Fossil and waiting for their response. Thanks.

Aug 11, 2019
Hi,

yes, I seem to have the same issue. Have you found a solution or has Fossil answered? The ticking is quite annoying.
Several days after I filled out an online form for support I heard back from someone. They said they have not received similar feedback and asked me to go to a fossil store and compare it to another watch. The closest store that shows the Carlyle in stock is an hour away. I will be calling their support again today. I've ran through all scenarios's removing apps, turning off the heartbeat sensor, resetting the watch, etc. and have not been able to stop the ticking/clicking. I'll update with what they say after my call.

Aug 11, 2019
I spoke to them on the phone today. They told me they have not heard of this before and it shouldn't be doing it. They sent me a pre-paid Fedex label to send it back for either a refund or a replacement or I have the option to go to a store and swap it out for a new one. The closest store with stock is an hour drive however I may just drive it to see if another watch in store does the same thing. Is this a flaw in the design?

Aug 18, 2019
I've got the same problem it looks like! Got the watch yesterday and all seemed fine during setup. Came to use it this morning and noticed this ticking sound (it almost sounds like someone clicking a mouse to me - a double tick as you say).

Guess it's a run of faulty units? I'll report it to their customer service as well and see if they advise a replacement too

Aug 11, 2019
Sad to say my replacement watch is doing the exact same thing. This cannot be coincidence. This has to be a bug in the watch. I have tried a lot of different scenarios to try and figure out if there is something triggering the noise but it just seems to do it no matter what in ambient mode or with the screen totally off. Again, when the screen is 'on' it does not seem to produce these clicking/ticking sounds. The question is do I learn to live with it or not? I really do like the watch but can I get past paying $300 for something that has a flaw? I wonder if this can be fixed with a software update? So far they have not acknowledge this to be a known issue.

Just did a quick search and found over on Reddit people are complaining about calls sounding horrible via the speaker on the watch. Wondering if this could be related in any way because the ticking I would think is from the speaker and not mechanical for obvious reasons unless there is something mechanical in the watch that I am not aware of

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/WearOS/comments/cn9gk9/fossil_smartwatch_5_generation_speaker_crackling/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.