Four Men Arrested for Stuffing Games Down Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojito_619

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
Don't big stores have a chip attached to the video game box (and other pricey items) and then have a scanner at the entrance that beeps when someone hasn't paid for it?

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Mojito_619[/nom]Don't big stores have a chip attached to the video game box (and other pricey items) and then have a scanner at the entrance that beeps when someone hasn't paid for it?[/citation]
all you really need is a strong magnet to deactivate the security device

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Someone should really tell them about torrents.[/citation]
Piracy is still theft, whereas robbing Toys R Us is... oh, right...
Yeah, someone really should tell them

taiso

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
happens all the time where i work. sometimes they're crafty enough to work in a group, while one 'customer' distracts us the other guys grab the items. sometimes they dont even need a magnet key to open the security cases...they just dash to the front door. sometimes we're able to get a description of the car/license plate, other times we're able to deter them from taking them by catching them on the act. but ususally if they're used to doing this for a living they really wont care who stands in their way. and honestly we're not allowed to (or willing actually) confront them physically. so it is good to hear they sometimes get caught.

Trashit

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Someone should really tell them about torrents.[/citation]
Dammit u beat me to it lol. I wonder how many torrents you can fit down your pants....

shockerz33

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]taiso[/nom]happens all the time where i work. sometimes they're crafty enough to work in a group, while one 'customer' distracts us the other guys grab the items. sometimes they dont even need a magnet key to open the security cases...they just dash to the front door. sometimes we're able to get a description of the car/license plate, other times we're able to deter them from taking them by catching them on the act. but ususally if they're used to doing this for a living they really wont care who stands in their way. and honestly we're not allowed to (or willing actually) confront them physically. so it is good to hear they sometimes get caught.[/citation]

In MN there was a Best Buy employee that was a former marine, stopped a guy from getting away by blocking him at the door. When the thief threatened to stab him, he one-punch KO'd the guy. The security video was on youtube for a while before it got pulled...lol. Employee didn't get in trouble because the police said he was defending himself from a physical danger.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Not very smart on their part, if one is going to shoplift then they better get smart. There are plenty of blind spots in the security system ware one has the time to remove the RFID tags and loot the goods. Then quietly make ones way out the store but it has to be worth it as some have gotten smart over the years. There is some out there though are pros at it and even loot larger items such as TVs and higher priced items. Don't ask me how they do it.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]all you really need is a strong magnet to deactivate the security device[/citation]
Such as the ones used in harddrives.

serra

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Thieves aren't too smart. When I was a teenager, I was working at a department store. On my break I was looking at something I wanted to buy. A guy came and stood right next to me and a guy walked up and stood right next to him at the shelf. The guy in the middle takes a box, opens it and puts the contents in his pocket and walks off. I look at the other guy and it is the store's undercover security guy. I just smiled at him and went back to browsing. A few minutes later, I saw the guy being lead in handcuffs back to the security office. Moron thief shoplifted standing between a store employee with his name tag on and the undercover security guy. Guess he wasn't paying attention.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Ya back, and speeding is illegal to.. You better never go 1 mph over the speed limit our I hoped your fined 80,000$ for every mile over.. Freaking retard.. When you can prove I would buy it, then you can say it's theft. Because more often then not I torrent first, buy later. As I mainly play games for the multiplayer part, but single player gives you a hint.[/citation]

What you mean is "Lost sales". Any torrent is theft, just like taking it from the shelves at the store. The difference is that a torrent is not a lost sale. It's just a digital copy, so it's not a product missing from the shelves, preventing someone else from buying it.

In both cases, piracy or store theft, they are both thefts and to the thief they don't represent a lost sale. The thief doesn't always use what he steals.

Status
Not open for further replies.