FoxPro Pro 2.5 / QBasic 1.1 migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

logamuthu

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
For three decades I have been using MS DOS 6.22+Qbasic 1.1 and Foxpro 2.5a for DOS to manage my personal - Medical Profession &

Medicines Business - data with two Qbasic (.bas) programs for Data Entry by less initiated Data Entry operators into .dat (?csv) files and

then convert the .dat files into .dbf files usable by Foxpro for DOS. I also created Patients table with Foxpro 2.5a for DOS - all flat file type

and very basic - only Date, Character & Numeric type of fields - no images. multimedia etc in records, no relationality, no cross-table queries,

Single User (no multi-user facility), no sharing over networks, no web publishing etc., The tables could be managed easily - modification of

structure by inserting/deleting fields, append/insert/delete/edit records - searched with Rushmore technology and queried with simple

command line options FOR, AND, OR etc., Filters by SET FILTER TO. Connect to printer by Set Print on/off (? " ")etc.,

This basic scheme has worked well.

But with the fast-changing hardware scenario, I apprehend these simple apps may not be implementable in presently available 32 bit and 64

bit CPUs and OSs.

Since I have a Windows XP 32 bit PC and a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit PC, I want to migrate to the newer PCs and OSs.

As such I am unable to migrate to - work on these in - my Windows 7 64 bit PC.

I have looked at DBMSs including MS Access, MS SQL, MySQL, Data Base Editors, Toad SW etc., They all seem to be overkill for me and

do not per,it the easy miration I am looking for.

I am keen on using Open Source help - freeware.

How to go about it reasonably easily with simple import of old data tables into 64 bit SW and also run the .prg files created in Foxpro 2.5a for

DOS inside these Open Source 64 bit apps - simple queries only (SQL seems to be an overkill) and I can print out the query results - No

need for generating Forms, Reports etc.,

Pls help!

Googolplex Thanx in advance!

Solution
Hello logamuthu;

Your data migration job is not a 'Windows 7' question. It's an Applications/Programs type question.
So this section of the forum is probably not the best location to find someone who knows the answers you want.

And your choice of titles is not going to attract the people with the knowledge you need. Be a LOT more specific in the title - and find a forum that specializes in database management and applications.
- FoxPro Pro 2.5 / QBasic 1.1 migration is a much better subject title for what you want.

Possibility: OpenOffice.org open source Office Suite, includes Base it's open source database program.
Runs on Windows (32bit or 64bit) and open source operating systems.
Hello logamuthu;

Your data migration job is not a 'Windows 7' question. It's an Applications/Programs type question.
So this section of the forum is probably not the best location to find someone who knows the answers you want.

And your choice of titles is not going to attract the people with the knowledge you need. Be a LOT more specific in the title - and find a forum that specializes in database management and applications.
- FoxPro Pro 2.5 / QBasic 1.1 migration is a much better subject title for what you want.

Possibility: OpenOffice.org open source Office Suite, includes Base it's open source database program.
Runs on Windows (32bit or 64bit) and open source operating systems.

Solution

logamuthu

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

Thanq WR2!

Status
Not open for further replies.