Free Anti-Malware Services for Android Failing Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

cancer2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Oh well, it seems that we have to pay to secure our data, nothing new here. The anti-malware product companies will make an honest buck thanks to the not "so" honest malware.
This market just began expanding, and I bet it looks like a fresh, ripe fruit for the taking, because of the increasing usage of the smartphones(and now we buy stuff directly from the device too).
I'm willing to pay the price if it guarantees my device will be secured. What do you guys think? Is it worth it throwing a couple of bucks/euros for your safety, and if so how much?

G

I think its typical of Apps. Even with Apple's store. Their is a lot of free junk out there. Just ask yourself a question. How will a free Anti Virus app work? Who is going to spend time updating virus definitions for a "free" app? Unless its a app from a reputable paid anti virus service? Actually why does Android need Anti Virus? If Google would be more diligent about its Apps being virus free. Their would be a whole lot less concern over viruses.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I've been wanting to upgrade my iPhone 3GS to an Android for a little while. This information is disturbing. 1) Although it isn't new news to me that you can get viruses from the Android Market, I'm still shocked. My first thoughts are WTF, don't they have any regulation or control on what gets published? 2) I guess you get what you pay for. Buy a high rated effective antivirus.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Seems like a very shallow test, both in the group of apps tested and in the testing method. While there is some validity to what they did, it falls short.

Hey Tom's, want to do a comprehensive evaluation of anti-virus apps? You can have your Apple review crew do the iOS ones, and your Google gang do the android ones. That would be a worthwhile review.

bluedragon76

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
No mention of any of the which actual 'threats' they tested. How thorough of them. How do we know they didn't just make this up if they don't list which threats they tested against? Fail.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
This test seems rather bogus. They didn't test the two most popular free av suits, AVG (10-50 million installs) and Lookout (10-50 million installs).

I could do a more comprehensive study from my couch in 8 hours... The article title should read "Epic Fail : Free android AV tested, testing lab comes out on bottom"

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Herr_Koos[/nom]Proper AV protection is freely available on Windows, and the same should be true of smartphones.[/citation]
But, even on Windows, you do get what you pay for....and sometimes less. McAfee is a good example. You pay a premium for the brand...
[citation][nom]davidgermain[/nom]It would have been more useful if they tested paid for as it seem's that you may get what you pay for in this case[/citation]
They tested F-Secure and Kaspersky....but did leave out AVG, Norton, DrWeb, ESET, and Vipre....
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]This test seems rather bogus. They didn't test the two most popular free av suits, AVG (10-50 million installs) and Lookout (10-50 million installs). I could do a more comprehensive study from my couch in 8 hours... The article title should read "Epic Fail : Free android AV tested, testing lab comes out on bottom"[/citation]
Testing the free version of AVG would be pointless if they tested the paid version. The only difference between the paid and free versions of AVG are the configuration options. AVG uses the same scan engine(s) and database for both versions, so the results for either should be easy to replicate with the other if using the default settings. Honestly, given AVG's track record, I'd say the results from F-Secure and Kaspersky are more than sufficient to determine the effectiveness of AVG as I'd expect all 3 to give the same results.

G

A test comparing free antivirus apps to commercial ones, conducted by AV-TEST ("The Independent IT-Security Institute"), and yet it fails to include:

Lookout Security & Antivirus
Antivirus Free by AVG
Dr.Web Anti-virus Light
Norton Mobile Security Lite

Sooo fishy, I'm surprised they had the nerve to publish it online. Apparently they have an agenda. I don't think I can trust a test from AV-TEST ever again.

casand

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I would say Comodo mobile security one of the leading online security provider is giving best mobile security for Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS