Free Xbox 360 if Mandatory Update Trashes Old Unit?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
what if you have a collectors/limited edition version of the xbox 360 like mine (COD collectors version)? I got it as a gift, would suck to exchange a limited edition version that already has a 250GB HD for a basic slim version.

G

Looks like my old 360 Pro ( made in 2006) has a problem after updating today. It hasn't been hooked up to the internet for a very long time, but I hooked it up today after I saw that my 360 Elite had an update. I updated both and got error messages on discs in the Pro that my Elite doesn't give. I hope they'll replace the unit, it's also RROD a few times too in the past.

I just talked to a Service tech. He said that the update doesn't go out until tomorrow. I'm not sure I believe that.

I've tried to play several games now on a 42" Samsung, 16:9 LCD...

I tried Halo 2 for the Xbox. No problem on the Pro or the Elite.
I played a bit of Idiocracy on DVD on both consoles. No problems for the Pro or the Elite.
Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox. No problem on the Pro or the Elite.

Splinter Cell Conviction: On the Pro the screen goes into 4:3 mode and shows the a white background with the Xbox 360 spherical logo and X and the words XBOX 360. It stays there and refuses to load. On the Elite the game loads without problem.

Fatal Inertia gives me a message on the Pro: To play this disc, put it in an XBox 360 console. It works fine on the Elite.

Final Fantasy XIII: On the Pro the screen goes into 4:3 mode and shows the a white background with the Xbox 360 spherical logo and X and the words XBOX 360. It stays there and refuses to load. On the Elite the game loads without problem.

Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion gave me a 'disc unreadable' message on the first try with the Pro. The next time I get a message: To play this disc, put it in an XBox 360 console. It works fine on the Elite.

Mass Effect2: On the Pro the screen goes into 4:3 mode and shows the a white background with the Xbox 360 spherical logo and X and the words XBOX 360. It stays there and refuses to load. On the Elite the game loads without problem.

Several Official Xbox Magazines exhibit the same behavior. On the Pro the screen goes into 4:3 mode and shows the a white background with the Xbox 360 spherical logo and X and the words XBOX 360. It stays there and refuses to load. On the Elite the game loads without problem.

I hope to get more information tomorrow.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I have a question. Now excuse my ignorance as I am not a console gamer or a pirate so
I've never done the research. But perhaps someone here will know the answer to the question.

The models that may be effected by any chance they just so happen to be the models that
pirates use to mod for piracy purposes?

I'm not trying to say there is some conspiracy theory and that M$ meant to do this but due remember this is M$ we are talking about.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I have a working model from 2006, I hope it fails from the update so I don't have to worry about the RROD popping out of the blue eventually.

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Maybe this is the catch:

Stricken gamers are required to "start a repair request" and then send the existing unit back to Microsoft

In-warranty repair: Free
Out-of-warranty repair: $99 (submit order online)
Out-of-warranty repair: $119 (submit order over the phone)

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Won't be long before a serial-number range hits the internet, then people will go to used stores, purchase the units, and trade them in to Microsoft for brand new ones. Of course, this is probably the preferred method for everyone involved. Imagine the poor SAP who goes in to a Gamestop on October 1st, buys a used 360, and finds out it hasn't been updated since January. I wonder if the businesses selling used consoles would do the honorable thing and take them back for a refund or replacement? Probably not.

G

A sony firmware update a few months ago bricked a fair number of ps3s, mine included. Wish they had had offered a free replacement instead of denying that it happened for a month and _then_ offering to fix the problem for free (after another month of shipping and maintenance time, of course).

G

Whats the catch?

The verified story of this happening refers to a dashboard beta tester. How do we know that the release that will go public wont have fixed the firmware for that model drive?

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
I haven't heard of anyone in the beta test with a Hitachi DVD-ROM have their drive flashed by the update leaving me to think XGD3 compatibility is handled by the console at the software level.... or maybe Hitachi drives just can't handle XGD3 as they can't be updated. They're actually a very different drive than other models employed.

Samsung, BenQ and LiteON in the original consoles all have some hardware similarities pertaining to their firmware and write the same way. BenQ and LiteONs will have an easy go of it as they write reliably and their flash chips are being completely erased and re-written. Sounds more dangerous than it is. Samsungs are only having a few areas of the firmware updated for XGD3 (they can't support new security measures but they can still read the extra data). Partial updating can be more troublesome. I don't think Sammys were used much past early '07.

Personally I have a Slim that will be re-written. I'm sure it'll update fine but they're more than welcome to hand me a 250GB model if something happens.

G

Does anyone do any research before posting these articles? Microsoft's own Larry Hyrb has repeated again and again that the error is due to a PREVIOUS UPDATE, and only effects a small group of people. Here's your source:

http://majornelson.com/2011/05/18/clearing-up-some-confusion/

That's 15 seconds of research on the web.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I have a release Xbox. Louder than my beastly gaming rig (with 5 120mm, a 140mm case fan, overclocked i7 920 and 5830).
Seriously, those first gen Xbox's are too loud.
The slim may not look as good in my opinion, but I'm hoping it gets bricked anyways (going from 20GB to 250GB would be nice).

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
"Please Microsoft, break my console...."

lol exactly what i was thinking when i read the introductory paragraph. It's very rare that i want one of my electronic devices to break.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Man, I have the FIRST generation Xbox, the ones that had shitty red ring problems. I hope I get a console replacement : D

G

I have an original Xbox360 Middle-of-the-road package. I forget but there was like, the non-HDD version, the "pro" package with a 20gb hdd and then a "premium". Anyone remember that? Yeah, I got the pro package. Luckily it only RROD'd me once and microsoft upgraded the heatsink. Hopefully they dont know that I know that or how I know that and hopefully my system is old enough to brick...sounds like they wont know till they already have it. I replaced that sillypuddy they call thermally conductive paste and took those pesky, board-bending xclamps off. Seriously, a manufacturing money/time saver is not worth the broken boards. Just use a real mounting bracket solution, MS!

SapienChavez

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]So, what is the catch here? When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Since I am not an Xbox expert I can't answer, but what might a user of an older system lose in this exchange? I'll leave that question to the Xbox elite to answer.Hopefully the answer is nothing and the end result is a net gain![/citation]
The catch? you have to deal with the BS. you have to send it in and all that. that is not free, to me.

they break a machine for no necessary reason: they better replace it!

i dont see a catch here.

Status
Not open for further replies.