FreedomPop's Free Home Broadband Service Now Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
[citation][nom]builder4[/nom]FreedomPop sounds like a feminine hygiene product...[/citation]
It all depends on what's free and pops out :)

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
This doesn't solve my issue at all. I'm a gamer paying $35 a month for 2.5 mbit/s DSL that sometimes has latency as high as 300ms. I need capless data and an upgrade in speed and latency without paying a ton more. The only faster option in my area right now costs almost twice as much as I'm paying now.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
This is actually a really nice deal if you can't get cable/fiber in your area. I however use over 20GB a month (upload/download combined) so both cable and fiber are cheaper and faster.

Can't wait until these wireless ISPs finally become good enough to threaten the cable companies though. It would force them to lower prices or increase speed, both of which I would love.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sure seems like a potentially expensive, "free" service. If only checking e-mail, it would likely suffice as a "free" service, but not otherwise for most users. More gimmick than good from how it appears to me.

G

I'm debating whether to give these guys a try. One problem is that you can't see their plans ahead of time. It was news to me that they cap data AND have speed tiers. $10 a month for 10GB is appealing if I'm getting 12 mbps. Not so much at 1.5 mbps.

Also, I need about 25 megs per month. How much is that going to cost me?

Maybe this isn't really cheaper than my AT&T DSL? 6 megs down, 1.5 up for ~$50 a month. Under 30 ms latency.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]Buzzcut[/nom]I'm debating whether to give these guys a try. One problem is that you can't see their plans ahead of time. It was news to me that they cap data AND have speed tiers. $10 a month for 10GB is appealing if I'm getting 12 mbps. Not so much at 1.5 mbps.Also, I need about 25 megs per month. How much is that going to cost me?Maybe this isn't really cheaper than my AT&T DSL? 6 megs down, 1.5 up for ~$50 a month. Under 30 ms latency.[/citation]
it all depends on what you are doing. For me personally, it would be an awful deal. We do not have television or cable TV in the house because we find it much cheaper and convenient to watch what we want, when we want, via download services like netflix, hulu, or station websites. Because of all that video streaming we can easily hit a few hundred GBs per month for the house, and when we were really into a few HD shows at the same time we actually streamed 1TB of internet in a month, which was pretty shocking to me.
At 1 cent per MB that would be a $10,000 bill with this 'free' plan, while through TWC it was $45.

However, I work at a nonprofit that provides computers for low income families, seniors, and students. For many of them this is their first computer, and for many of them all they are doing is simple research online, email, and some social networking... for that type of use I could see this really helping them out. The cheapest deal in town right now is $20/mo for 768kbps DSL (which requires a phone line), or $25/mo for 768kbps cable (no phone line). $25/mo is a huge price to pay when you are on a fixed income (of which food and housing eats 90% of), and I am sure many of them could save a ton of money on this type of plan.

Aegean BM

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
In general I applaud pay as you go. The all you can eat plans are constantly resetting expectations of what that actually means, or worse, silently throttling you.

The problem as noted by CaedenV and others is FreedomPop's performance and price point. Their plan only appeals to a cheap niche. I can't see many of toms readers getting it, even assuming they are in one of the select cities.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Immoral Medic[/nom]I may not be reading this right, but it's not free if you pay for it[/citation]Well, after you buy the hardware, you can get 1GB a month free. Yep, that's right, ONE gigabyte. In other words, it's free as long as you don't use it.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]joe nate[/nom]According to their map, by zooming in, my house is 3/4th covered by service, but 1/4th not.[/citation]Oh that's no problem. Just position the router ("mobile hotspot") within the covered area. It'll broadcast wifi throughout the house. It's kind of like a range extender! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.