FTC Asked To Investigate In-App Purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Here's an idea, if you don't want your spoiled brat to buy things on your credit card, don't put your credit card into their device so it's saved into memory, or turn on the feature that prevents it from happening. Then again, it's usually the kid setting it up for the parent, so I doubt many of them are told about parental control features.

Still, accept your own blame, you can't hand your children your wallet, tell them to buy whatever they want, then when they're done return what they bought saying it isn't your fault they bought it.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I actually don't have any kind of billing associated with my iTunes account for this reason. If I want to pay for something then will go through paypal which isn't automatic.

I am dismayed though that I have to type in my password everytime I want to update an installed app. Gee. Good thing I don't have to deal with this mess on my Droid phone :)

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
isn't the payment system designed specifically to allow for reckless and irresponsible spending? if people actually thought twice before buying any apps, sale wouldn't be in the billions.

but hey, we get to gamble our pensions on the stock market. what's 99 cents?

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]midnightgun[/nom]It's not a governmental problem, it is a parenting problem.[/citation]

I honestly think this is the single most intelligent thing I've seen posted on this site... Now if just the rest of the world were as intelligent as this one post... Oh well, I can dream can't I??

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I guess I'm in the minority here, but offering 'free' children's games that encourage the kids to make purchases using their parents' credit card account without even so much as a password verification smells of fraud, at the very least it's unethical. Sure parents can opt out, but I bet most parents don't even know that these games are charging real money for virtual supplies until their iTunes receipt shows up 3 days later. These game makers have one goal: get the kids to buy fake stuff using mom and dad's real credit card, so if the FTC shuts them down, good.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
The question is why these apps have automatic access to credit card details? I don't own an Apple product because I have never trusted the company, this seems to justify that belief.

If i buy a game from steam for example, that is created by a 3rd party, that third party will never have access to my credit card details, so why does Apple open up your PERSONAL and PRIVATE details to 3rd party developers, and now even Android is going the same way, shame on Google for that.

No 3rd party software should have the right to bill your CC without express consent being give and a pin code entered, this is set up under the name on convenience, but it is so you will spend money (or your kids will) without realising it has been spent.

And all of you calling parents and their kids stupid obviously don't have children yet, the majority of parents are good and decent and look after their children well, but you cannot watch them 24 hours a day, nor should you, kids need room to grow and develop, not to be in a bubble for all of their childhood

Remember Apple has 1 agenda, and that is suck the cash cow dry (that is you by the way)

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Whatever happened to personal responsibility?Here's an idea, if you don't want your spoiled brat to buy things on your credit card, don't put your credit card into their device so it's saved into memory, or turn on the feature that prevents it from happening...you can't hand your children your wallet, tell them to buy whatever they want, then when they're done return what they bought saying it isn't your fault they bought it.[/citation]
I'm betting that most parents aren't the drooling idiots you so broadly paint them. In my case, my wife sometimes lets our kids take turns using her iPhone to watch videos or play games when we're traveling or waiting in a doctor's office, etc...we try to keep a selection of age-appropriate games and apps for them. Smurf Village caught my eye because it looked like something my son would enjoy and it was 'free'. Good thing I read the reviews before I downloaded it. The game makes it hard for the kids to progress unless they buy berries, these virtual berries are paid for with real money from the parents' iTunes account. The kid does not need any knowledge of the parents credit card info or iTunes password...just click and advance to the next level. There are 'opt-out' options, but that assumes every parent knows that the game is a really money-pit aimed at 6 year olds. Many parents are probably naive to the idea that a children's program would drain their account without so much as a requiring a password.

I'm sure all of the children you raised benefitted from your ability to monitor their every action and they never played a single video game without your complete understanding of the workings of the game.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Sometimes In-app purchases gives the developer a reason to offer less for the money. I know a few xbox games where the addons should of been included, except the developer was cheap. Games go on sale often, but in game add ons rarely ever. Games have to compete with games, and this competition lowers prices. But there is no such thing for in game purchases, so the prices never drop. = UNFAIR. Alsso for the fact a lot of times the purchases just flips a switch already in the software, and adds no extra content to what was purchases in the first place.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
lets get to the core of the issue... parents stop having dumb children , actually teach them about the world and that money isn't free , now we get to have mrmore useless legislation in place cause your kid didn't understand what money is by the time they can read... grats you failed /end rant

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Actually, government intervention is warranted.

In App Purchases lure people into downloading the app then you as an adult know better than spending money on the app, but a child does not.

Where this is going to be more of a problem is with the next generation PSP2 and 3DS platforms. You can bet that in App content will be a part of that eco-system.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I love all the "stupid" kid and parent remarks from guys that will probably never get laid much less have kids.

I would lay money down that every single one of you idiots does not have children and would raise them much worse than most parents if you did....

I guess all of you "geniuses" (read the sarcasm there) sprang from the womb with an IQ of 180.

Status
Not open for further replies.