Fulfill Your Air Guitar Dreams on a Real One

Status
Not open for further replies.

subgum

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Wireless technology for guitars/amps has been available for many years. So I'm failing to understand why this is making news today.
Someone care to enlighten me?

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Musicians have been using this type of thing live for years...
Yeah this really is nothing new at all. You can buy wireless packs at Guitar Center for as low as $100. Most just run on regular batteries and som have li-on packs. Big deal, this one charges by USB... can we have some real news please? Not just random crap that you stumble upon.

G

But this can be charged at the blazing speed of USB!
/sarcasm

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
definitely a bit high. I'm a musician and being able to charge by usb is cool, but not $220 cool. I don't see these selling a lot of units. Aside from a few lucky individuals, a lot of musicians (like me)are dirt poor.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Yeah this stuff has been around for a long while Rico, maybe you should drop the guitar hero and go into a music store for once. This model looks like it is weak too, there are plenty of better wireless guitar devices out here. I just don't see how this is news worthy.

Xaios

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
While it's kind of neat that you can charge them via USB, the transmitters on similar units can last a fairly long while on regular batteries or rechargeable battery packs, and receivers are typically plugged into an outlet along with the amp that they're feeding.

What would be even better is if the transmitter unit that's plugged into the guitar could be self-charging. It's actually not very far-fetched, as the passive pickups in a typical electric guitar use alnico or ceramic magnets to generate current, which is then sent through a cable and amplified by the guitar amp. The pickups create a magnetic field that generates electromagnetic flux when the steel strings moving through the magnetic strings are moved, or rather, played. I imagine some of the power that's generated could be repurposed to instead recharge the transmitting unit, and the receiver unit (which should be plugged into a wall outlet by rights anyway) could be used to add gain to the signal to make up for the power lost powering the transmitter.

G

Hey something I can comment about... Actually for all you guys who say this has been available for many years, please look at what you are talking about: a digital wireless transmitter/receiver. Please do not confuse this with the standard VHF/UHF ANALOG wireless systems (which start at around 100 an go up to 3000USD). These old systems have two major problems: RFI (Radio frequency interference) and Squelch controls (compressor that reduce the dynamic range of the guitars output drastically to improve transmission). With digital we reduce RFI because it's transmitted in packets (like if it were a Wifi device) and we eliminate compression because we have an AD/DA converter in place (24bit on most of these devices). Of course purists will tell you that converting to digital is a mortal sin, but your everyday musician will appreciate this greatly. Most of all we will get a better signal to our amps/rigs for less money. These type of devices have been appearing for the last year or so. Line6 has some very good ones, a bit pricier than this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.