Furby is Back and He Doesn't Have an Off Switch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]For most people, Without them being able to hear how another person is saying it, it many times more difficult for them to distinguish sarcasm and strait talk.[/citation]
That is why I use :p when I am being sarcastic although sometimes that doesn't even work.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
As a parent, I don't want my kids to have a toy without an off switch. I try to get them to bed and the stupid toy keeps making noise, so I have to take it in another room. I have "installed" off switches on some of their toys. So, if I can't shut it off, I am not buying it.

G

[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]"Furbies were banned from the National Security Agency of the United States due to concerns that they may be used to record and repeat classified information"Don't be an idiot, they had -0- transmitting properties whatsoever. Don't spread lies like that unless you research them yourself.[/citation]

I actually remember that. Furbies were marketed as "learning" to speak. The concern was that is would learn some information, then the furby would be moved somewhere and repeat that information. Like a recording device. But turns out Furbies don't learn anything they aren't programmed to eventually say anyway, it's just a smart trick.

Where I work we aren't allowed any recording devices, no usb keys, nothing like that. Yet they haven't banned cellphones, which duh, could be used as usb keys, recorders, even video cameras. Don't ask why they make policy X or Y, a lot of people in charge are just stupid.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Sorry, but what does that have to do on a Tech site?

Is there a USB interface so it can be programmed or are we just talking advertising money to help THG pay it's bills ? :)

BTW, is there a way to make the "Alert me if new talkback" default to OFF ???

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Sorry, but what does that have to do on a Tech site?Is there a USB interface so it can be programmed or are we just talking advertising money to help THG pay it's bills ? :)BTW, is there a way to make the "Alert me if new talkback" default to OFF ???[/citation]
I guess it's remotely newsworthy seeing it has an app.
The Furby iOS app will give you meals for your Furby as well as offer a Furbish to English dictionary and a translation tool that will unscramble that Furby gibberish and spit out English translations.
Still...

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]SinisterMessiah[/nom]Your inability to detect sarcasm is more adorable than that Furby.[/citation]

Exactly... some kids don't get the joke and mark stuff negative.... people need to grow up.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
If they banned Furbies because they could "record and repeat" vital information, I wonder how they came to that assumption? Just imagine the agent sitting there at his desk talking "spec ops" chatter with his semi-retarded furby?

Not only that, I don't recall them banning "yak-baks" and those were SPECIFICALLY designed to record and playback.

G

[citation][nom]snowzsan[/nom]If they banned Furbies because they could "record and repeat" vital information, I wonder how they came to that assumption? Just imagine the agent sitting there at his desk talking "spec ops" chatter with his semi-retarded furby?Not only that, I don't recall them banning "yak-baks" and those were SPECIFICALLY designed to record and playback.[/citation]

They said, if inadvertently someone bought it as a gift, talked to someone forgetting furby was around, then would bring it home. Some crap like that.

Never heard of "yak-baks". Don't work for government stuff, just a private "consulting" agency where they care about secrecy. But yeah, like they disable all usb ports, but if you reboot the computer with the usb key in, it detects it. Or if you download an .exe, they won't run it, but you download a .zip, don't extract it (that is blocked), but just view it then run it, sure enough, it runs.

I've told a few of my superiors about the security lapses, and then they see me as a security threat. Trust me, if I wanted to do damage, I would and not talk about it. The gaps are so wide it's scary. And management, they are worried about "Furby", because it makes the news. I've never found any upper management that could talk technically, or even just respect it. They just fear it. And ban it when they don't understand it, but when they love it like their cellphones, then too bad, it stays, no matter what the risk.

G

Furbys are a quality toy, especially for younger kids! There is a competition to get one for free here: http://www.furbyfriends.net/new-2012-furbys/

Status
Not open for further replies.