Future Contact Lenses Can Put Pixels on Our Eyeballs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]There're good week or month long contacts, but you still have to take the off every day. No matter what, your eyes need to rest, and keeping contacts on while you sleep isn't a good idea. It's an abysmal experience at first, since your instincts try to block off any objects coming towards your eye. Once you overcome it, you won't have any problems and eyedrops will become easier, too (I definitely remember myself hating them when I was a kid). Your eyes will also become more resistant to irritation, but you have to remember to keep them humid at all times - AC can be a real b!tch (that's why contacts are not recommended during a flight, for example), so have some tear-like eye drops with you at all times.Sure, it seems like a big hassle, but in fact it's not so much and the benefits far outweigh the effort taken to achieve them. You can wear sunglasses, nobody makes stupid remarks about you in school if you're a kid, you can swim and see properly and you don't ever have to wipe your glasses again And now this new tech will add so many more benefits... Of course, the market will be first flooded with bull$h!t apps for playing Angry Birds on walls and so on, but there will be serious and useful applications, too, and the people who'll use them will gain a distinct advantage over those who don't. Imagine walking around with direct link to... say, Wikipedia or any other knowledge source... and having it displayed on voice command? No need to look anything up anymore, you will be a dozen times faster with direct on-eye display.I don't like the idea of eye implants - what if the better version comes out, do you need another surgery to upgrade? No, lenses are much better and it's nice to get used to them in advance Just look at this: Just seeing all this circuitry in the lens makes me want to use it. I like technological augmentations. Whoever said human body is perfect is f***ing stupid.../end futuristic rant[/citation]

not sure how old you are, im 24, and got glasses in 5th grade, by that point no one cared beyond looking at them a bit the first day. in all honesty, im looking at lasic over contacts at this point, but im just waiting on the first one that guarantees 20/20 minimum, i don't have much need for glasses at this point, so i know it would get close to if not 20/20, but i want the one that guarantees it.

on a side note to your future rant thing. i think that implants would be the way to go, id get at least one if they were as good as human sight, using the optic nerve to go to the brain, and all you would need to do to upgrade would probably be pop the eye out... im probably thinking of a different implant than you.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
The possibilities for something like this would be endless. If you could imagine a lens like this with a HUD wireless connection to your cell phone. You could view your phones screen without staring at the small screen. Viewing google maps would never be the same.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
This will not work.

The eye only focuses on what is directly in front. Yes we can see a peripheral vision but it is indistinct and we miss things. As these are contacts it doesn't matter where your actual eyeball is looking the data will still be in the same place, unlike a head-ups display which is clear in the middle with data around the edge for you to glance at. But you cannot glance using the contact method.
So for example, if you were driving and something came up on display on the contact's edge, say top left corner, you wouldn't be able to focus on it and see what it is saying and if you 'looked' up and left the contact would move with your eye and still be 'out of sight'. If something flashed up in a manner for you to see it, it would be at least partially blocking your sight and if not it would be completely blocking it, not good for driving if you ask me.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]This will not work.The eye only focuses on what is directly in front. Yes we can see a peripheral vision but it is indistinct and we miss things. As these are contacts it doesn't matter where your actual eyeball is looking the data will still be in the same place, unlike a head-ups display which is clear in the middle with data around the edge for you to glance at. But you cannot glance using the contact method.So for example, if you were driving and something came up on display on the contact's edge, say top left corner, you wouldn't be able to focus on it and see what it is saying and if you 'looked' up and left the contact would move with your eye and still be 'out of sight'. If something flashed up in a manner for you to see it, it would be at least partially blocking your sight and if not it would be completely blocking it, not good for driving if you ask me.[/citation]

Good point. However, why not position it right in front, as if you're looking at a display? Say, when your eye focuses on a certain point on the windshield, the circuitry there reacts and makes your lens to project something right on your eye, as if it appeared on the windshield...

G

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Soon, it'd be "hip" and "trendy" to have contacts, regardless of your vision![/citation]

You should take a stroll down hollywood blvd or sunset, or melrose, in the daytime, there's a ton of wannabe-vampires. They're already popular with females too who like to be cute sporting purple eyes.

Anyway... we're already surgically replacing peoples' lenses. It sounds like these just need a better power source. Maybe like some cars do with brakes, they can harness the power of blinking hehe :)

PIZZA Man

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Some of the transitions in that video made me want to have a seizure :b But a very interesting new technology. I just hope when they're mainstream adverts don't somehow weasel their way onto your contact lense. This would be very handy though for things such as pulling up information on site at say your job. If it could be coupled with an advanced personal computer and a microphone, then someone could ask you a question, then BAM! the answer is right there in front of your eyes! Schools would have to do a contact check before tests ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS