G580 mb replace to Y580.

Pavel Horniak

Estimable
Mar 31, 2015
Hi, on my Lenovo G580 i fryed my gpu, now i want to buy new MB. But i looked for Y580 MB. It has way better GPU, and same cpu and ram socket. And mabye it fits to plastic case. G580 MB is smaller, but it have lot of place around it, and it seems that connectors are placed on same locations.

So will be possible to fit this board to my laptop?
I know about screen cable issue, i will buy another cable that will fit Y580 board and my screen.
And another issue will be usb/audio/cardreader board, seems, that there is other connector, i will buy card that will fit to Y580, because i dont found any pinouts for that.

And i dont know if will fit power button cable, but i have this cable broken, and i was starting my laptop using screwdriver. screwdriver will fit to Y580 too. :D

I dont know about WLAN support, but i will unlock whitelist in BIOS.

Ignoring this Screen and Audio card, and power button issues, will be possible to fit this MB in my laptop?

Solution
Swapping motherboards between laptop models pretty much never works. Even if it fits and the ports line up, there may be issues with the different monitor ribbons, other ribbons, monitor spec not running on the video card, etc....

Unless you do a web search and find someone that did this, I wold not buy a different motherboard.
Swapping motherboards between laptop models pretty much never works. Even if it fits and the ports line up, there may be issues with the different monitor ribbons, other ribbons, monitor spec not running on the video card, etc....

Unless you do a web search and find someone that did this, I wold not buy a different motherboard.

Solution