G75vx in 2016-17

p24p10

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
Hello to anyone who stumbles upon this thread,
I would like to know, how well could I get by with the Asus Rog G75vx? It would be for pretty decent gaming, but I'm totally okay with playing games on low setting, I really don't have the money for a gtx 1060 or something like that. So I'd be running games from late 2016 at the most, maybe some games from 2017 if they're not too demanding. But I'll definitely be buying some older games too ( around 2012-2013)
So how well would I do?

Solution
Hi,

The results are not bad, but the GPU is the problematic.
According to the link: "This GPU can handle older games but it will struggle to render recent games at resolutions greater than 1080p". So I think new games that requires a strong GPU will not work (or will have low FPS), so at some point this laptop can't run any new title.

However, I am not that expert in reading these reports try to show it to the store.
But I think the Laptop does not worth it,
1- as it is old one,
2- GPU score is close to being poor, also there was no test for it on DX11.
3- CPU single thread will perform poorly, as some games are single threaded. So have 4/8 cores/threads with low speed wont improve much or anything at all.
4- Harddisk, under...

IceMyth

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi,

I think the GPU in the Asus laptop is very old (GTX 670MX). You may run on low settings but you will have to lower the resolution too which I think will not be a pleasant experience. Wait few months and see with the new CPU's from Intel and AMD and hopefully the market will get cheaper.

But what is our budget? Maybe we can suggest another laptop.

Regards,

p24p10

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

My budget is around 600 maybe 650$, CAD

p24p10

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

IceMyth

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi,

Sorry for late reply. I compared the laptop GPU against R7 360 which I have (link below), and seems my GPU is away better. The point I know my GPU performance and what I can say, on my GPU I can't play a lot of new games and even some I can play on low-mid settings like Overwatch. BF1 I cant run it no matter what I do, and many FPS games.

Any idea what kind of games you want to play?

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-670MX-vs-AMD-R7-360/m7874vs3572

Note: The laptop is 4+ years old.
Regards,

p24p10

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

Well, id say all the ACs before AC4, fallout 3, a few valve games, and indie games in general, also e sports, lol and the all that

IceMyth

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
For AC4, Fallout3, LoL : The laptop will handle them normally.

Not sure about the other games, but I check Overwatch and seems with the GPU you will have to sacrifice some FPS.

Lastly, if you dont know the guy take the laptop to a store and let them check it thoroughly.

Regards,

p24p10

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

Well i did ask the guy at a pc store, he gave me great advice; ask the seller to send me some benchmark tests

IceMyth

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi,

The results are not bad, but the GPU is the problematic.
According to the link: "This GPU can handle older games but it will struggle to render recent games at resolutions greater than 1080p". So I think new games that requires a strong GPU will not work (or will have low FPS), so at some point this laptop can't run any new title.

However, I am not that expert in reading these reports try to show it to the store.
But I think the Laptop does not worth it,
1- as it is old one,
2- GPU score is close to being poor, also there was no test for it on DX11.
3- CPU single thread will perform poorly, as some games are single threaded. So have 4/8 cores/threads with low speed wont improve much or anything at all.
4- Harddisk, under SMART: Raw read error rate 114-99 not sure if this is good without knowing the threshold. if the 114 is away higher than the threshold -> the harddisk might fail soon.

Regards,

Solution